Thaiway

Glen Beck Goes Global

Rate this topic

Wino

Can you believe Rupert Murdoch has taken Beck global? What a joke. Here is part of the article:

Watching Beck, who sometimes resembles a snake-oil salesman’s dim-witted assistant accidentally promoted to the top job, makes a foreigner wonder just what’s happening to American conservatism. I confess that I find it impossible to determine whether Beck’s show is serious or, as seems more probable, an elaborate practical joke played on his unwitting audience. I don’t want to seem forward or rude, but one can’t help but ask: Have you people lost your minds?

Full story at http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-11/glenn-beck-goes-global?cmpid=p_yahoo

I must confess that I do watch Beck, and Fox News. You have to realize that Fox is an entertainment channel, and so long as you keep that in mind then that's OK.

Back to Beck.. you have to wonder if this guy is a joke or on the level. But then again I find just about all the American TV shows some sort of 'reality' show, as in ... is it all real.

Wonder why Fox has such high ratings as they claim, maybe because all the other US news networks are just as bad.

Wonder why Fox has such high ratings as they claim, maybe because all the other US news networks are just as bad.

I am not sure whether high ratings that Fox claim are true? I know America is full of conservative people that make the likes of Fox and Limbaugh, a popular show.

Hey, great thread, thanks for starting it.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that there is only one rabid right-wing network -- Fox -- so alllll the conservatives watch it, while progressives have a choice of CNN, MSNBC, HLN, CNBC, and probably a half-dozen others. I think that if there were only two networks, one conservative and one progressive, then the ratings would be much more equal, since the US seems about evenly divided between those on the right and the left.

Also, Fox panders to its audience a great deal more than do the other networks (except MSNBC, which has been trying to transform itself into a left-wing version of Fox). They aren't showing news so much as they are playing to all the irrational fears and misconceptions of their audience. You've heard Limbaugh fans called "Dittoheads," right? They don't love him because he informs them, but because all he does is parrot their own beliefs right back at them. That's what Fox does.

Of course, the way a rational, thinking person forms opinions is by taking in objective information, then forming an opinion based on that available information. You have to accept that there might be some, or many, things reported in the news that challenge your pre-conceptions and be willing to do the mental work to arrive at conclusions founded in fact.

But, like I said, that requires an open mind and the willingness to work your brain. I think many people would rather just take the easier route, so it's become more and more common that people don't watch the news to learn, but to reinforce what they already think. Rupert Murdoch embraced that idea very early on, and his Fox network has become experts at delivering what people want.

You have to realize that Fox is an entertainment channel

Not according to this blog by James Poniewozik

"Lately the Obama Administration has—in TIME and other outlets—been actively going on the attack against Fox News. The Administration, and Obama himself, have had run-ins with Fox before, but this time the message is different: they're characterizing the cable channel as not just a conservative outlet, but as a political organization, devoted to undermining the White House and defeating its policies."

Read more: http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2009/10/14/whats-obamas-fox-news-strategy/#ixzz0TwZA8ElI

Of course, the way a rational, thinking person forms opinions is by taking in objective information, then forming an opinion based on that available information. You have to accept that there might be some, or many, things reported in the news that challenge your pre-conceptions and be willing to do the mental work to arrive at conclusions founded in fact.

But, like I said, that requires an open mind and the willingness to work your brain. I think many people would rather just take the easier route, so it's become more and more common that people don't watch the news to learn, but to reinforce what they already think. Rupert Murdoch embraced that idea very early on, and his Fox network has become experts at delivering what people want.

Yes, you are quite right. That's why I do watch Fox & others to obtain as much information as possible, and then I can make by own informed thinking. I don't like it when many people bash Fox and then go on to admit they would never watch that *** channel. They make no bones about being 'right wing', and it's clear the say NBC have a left wing policy. That's the nature of life .....

"Lately the Obama Administration has—in TIME and other outlets—been actively going on the attack against Fox News. The Administration, and Obama himself, have had run-ins with Fox before, but this time the message is different: they're characterizing the cable channel as not just a conservative outlet, but as a political organization, devoted to undermining the White House and defeating its policies."

I have to wonder why the 'Obama Administration' has singled out Fox for attack. Maybe Fox are correct in saying that 'Obama Administartion' is far too thin skinned to hear any sort of criticism. I really don't care as I am not a US citizen. I just find it very amusing that for 8 years the bashing of Bush was more than Ok, but now it's big no-no to even think about saying anything bad about Obama. I guess that's why I find the US news channels 'entertaining'.

It was illuminating to watch last week's Saturday Live skit about Obama's accomplishments. I just wonder how long the love affair of Obama will last, maybe starting to fray around the edges ...

I like to hear the both points of view. That is why I sometimes listen to O'Rielly. Patong has a point in that Obama has had, in general, very good press. If Fox can focus on the issues, then I think that is fine. Mudslinging and name calling is something else all together.

You sound like a right winger to me. If you don't see the difference between Bush and Obama, you need a reality check.

The difference is clearly Black & White, or should that be White & Black. just my little joke, no offense intended.

Actually I learned in my youth never to discuss politics or religion with someone you don' know. Just leads to trouble & intolerance. It's just the caption to this topic (Beck) that made me read, and then comment.

I like to hear the both points of view. That is why I sometimes listen to O'Rielly. Patong has a point in that Obama has had, in general, very good press. If Fox can focus on the issues, then I think that is fine. Mudslinging and name calling is something else all together.

I agree. I guess we will both be defined as right wing wingers. But that's Ok by me as it's all water off a duck's back s far as I am concerned. I lost interest in all parties and politicians years ago as they are all in the job for either power or money, often both.

I agree. I guess we will both be defined as right wing wingers. But that's Ok by me as it's all water off a duck's back s far as I am concerned. I lost interest in all parties and politicians years ago as they are all in the job for either power or money, often both.

I would not think anyone would call me a right winger, but who knows? I am not much of a fan of labels. I try to look at both sides of an issue. In my book, many black and white issues are soon colored grey.

• 2 weeks later...

With the close governor's race in New Jersey, congressional race in Virginia and others, we will see if the voter will go with Obama's agenda or turn back to the republican side. Obama has been campaigning for his preferred candidates and so it should be interesting. Some republicans are worried that conservatives like Beck and Limbaugh are hurting the republican’s chances. Here is a quote and an interesting article. What do you think will happen on Tuesday?

The chairman of the House Republican Conference says it’s “hogwash†that GOP leaders are worried about what Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and the Tea Party movement are doing to their party’s image.

In a story headlined “Conservatives Roar; Republicans Tremble,†POLITICO reported Thursday that “many top Republicans are growing worried that the party’s chances for reversing its electoral routs of 2006 and 2008 are being wounded by the flamboyant rhetoric and angry tone of conservative activists and media personalities.â€

http://www.politico....009/28608.html#

I can understand the notion of getting different points of view; however, when I say that, what I mean is getting differing intelligent points of view. For example, watching both the BBC and Aljazera (spelling?).

I suppose the notion of watching Fox news to get a different point of view is somewhat similar to reading both the New York Times and the National Enquirer?

I can understand the notion of getting different points of view; however, when I say that, what I mean is getting differing intelligent points of view. For example, watching both the BBC and Aljazera (spelling?).

I suppose the notion of watching Fox news to get a different point of view is somewhat similar to reading both the New York Times and the National Enquirer?

Hahahaha...well said.

So you think that independent TV viewer pollsters are not telling the truth??

I was not saying independent pollsters are not telling the truth. I have not seen or read those polls. When watching O’Rielly on his program, he likes to tout his number one rating. To that claim, I do not know if it is true.

I think Fox and other conservative outlets have a large following. To dismiss their viewpoint as gossip-like or not meaningful is a gross underestimate of their influence.

I think Fox and other conservative outlets have a large following. To dismiss their viewpoint as gossip-like or not meaningful is a gross underestimate of their influence.

I have no doubt at all that Fox News is very popular and has substantial influence. So does Rush Limbaugh (the #1 radio show in the United States) and the National Enquirer (the #1 selling "newspaper" in the United States).

Call me an elitist if you will but popularity and influence are not any guarantee of intelligent thought. I am actually a bit afraid of all that influence and it also makes me wonder on occasion if Darwin had it backwards. If you ever saw Jay Leno's "man on the street" interviews (where he goes out on the street with a microphone and asks difficult questions - like who is the Vice President of the United States or who's buried in Grants tomb...), you might want to flee the country!