Thaiway

Glen Beck Goes Global

Rate this topic

Wino

And I guess you never shop at Wal-mart!

Nah, I have been there a few times. I've got no problem with Walmart (other than lamenting that everything in there is imported....sort of sad reminder of the days when the US used to produce some products).

popularity and influence are not any guarantee of intelligent thought.

Some of it is not intelligent thought but still very popular with many people believing it is gospel truth.

Call me an elitist if you will

"Nah, I have been there a few times. I've got no problem with Walmart " Proof that you are not an elitist.

Call me an elitist if you will but popularity and influence are not any guarantee of intelligent thought. I am actually a bit afraid of all that influence and it also makes me wonder on occasion if Darwin had it backwards. If you ever saw Jay Leno's "man on the street" interviews (where he goes out on the street with a microphone and asks difficult questions - like who is the Vice President of the United States or who's buried in Grants tomb...), you might want to flee the country!

I doubt that you would want to call yourself an elitist. If so, you would have old George W in your group and I don’t think you would like that. I have seen segments of Leno’s street interviews. Although extremely funny, it is also sad to think people can be that dumb.

In this US democracy, it is difficult for the elitist groups to shepherd the masses in one direction, although the media has influence and it seems Fox network has much of that influence. I think it wise to keep in tune and understand what the other side is saying.

In this US democracy, it is difficult for the elitist groups to shepherd the masses in one direction, although the media has influence and it seems Fox network has much of that influence. I think it wise to keep in tune and understand what the other side is saying.

Sorry, I just can't stomach the likes of Hannity, O'Riley, and some of the other idiots there. And I'd burn my radio before listening to Limbaugh.

Yes, they are popular and sadly have a great deal of influence (most likely because the average listener of some of those idiots can't or won't think for themselves). I'd love to see a survey of the educational levels of, let's say, the listeners of Bill O'Riley versus the listeners of somebody like Charlie Rose. I think the results would be rather significant.

If you ever saw Jay Leno's "man on the street" interviews (where he goes out on the street with a microphone and asks difficult questions - like who is the Vice President of the United States or who's buried in Grants tomb...), you might want to flee the country!

Although these answers are from school children from the age of 9-15, they are still very stupid.

One in 20 schoolchildren thought Adolf Hitler was a coach of the German football team, a survey said.

And one in six youngsters said they thought Auschwitz was a Second World War theme park while one in 20 said the Holocaust was a celebration at the end of the war.

The survey for a veterans' charity also found one in 10 thought the SS stood for Enid Blyton's Secret Seven, and one in 12 believed the Blitz was a European clean-up operation following the Second World War.

http://www.telegraph...0-children.html

If you ever saw Jay Leno's "man on the street" interviews (where he goes out on the street with a microphone and asks difficult questions - like who is the Vice President of the United States or who's buried in Grants tomb...), you might want to flee the country!

I don't think you can ever overestimate the general stupidity of the human race.

Let's hope Jay had to go through many intelligent people before he was able to find the dumb ones to put on the show.

Here is a story about another dumb action. This wind company says this site is too windy for a farm. I thought that was what they were looking for?

RUMFORD, Maine – A wind-power company says a western Maine site it's been looking at is too windy for turbines. First Wind's Matthew Kearns told a public meeting in Rumford on Thursday that its proposed Longfellow wind farm on Black Mountain and North and South Twin mountains may not be viable.

The Sun Journal of Lewiston quotes Kearns as saying First Wind's studies so far show that gusts atop Black Mountain are too strong for turbine engineering to handle, and that's a problem for wind turbine bearings.

Kearns said the Massachusetts-based company would not propose wind towers on North and South Twin mountains even if it finds a turbine that could handle the strong winds on Black Mountain.

A separate wind power project is under construction on Record Hill in Roxbury, also near Rumford.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_too_windy

If we are going to escape our dependence on fossil fuels, we are going to have to develop suitable renewable alternative energy sources. Wind is power might be part of the equation. Seems to me there should be a solution to turbines with bearing problems.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Beck may be in a little hot water.

Glenn Beck's dual embrace of gold -- as an investment vehicle for his listeners and a personal moneymaking opportunity for himself -- has drawn boos from various journalism watchdogs. And now it looks like the talk-show host's close relationship with one purveyor of gold coins has gotten him in a bit of trouble with his employer Fox News.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/12/07/thars-gold-in-them-shills-fox-raps-glenn-becks-endorsement-de/?icid=main%7chp-laptop%7cdl2%7clink5%7chttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dailyfinance.com%252F2009%252F12%252F07%252Fthars-gold-in-them-shills-fox-raps-glenn-becks-endorsement-de