Thaiway

Health Care

Rate this topic

smoker

What amazes me the most is that the people who would benefit the most from universal coverage - the poor and the middle class - are the people most opposed to universal health coverage.

I am not sure if the poor are opposed. Maybe because the bill, by law, may require then to buy health insurance. Perhaps, the middle class are opposed because they are the ones that will end up paying for it?

I am not sure if the poor are opposed. Maybe because the bill, by law, may require then to buy health insurance. Perhaps, the middle class are opposed because they are the ones that will end up paying for it?

Trust me, it is the poor who are opposed. Or at least a certain segment of the poor...specifically, rural white Americans who, for some unfathomable reason, buy into the whole Republican lie about health care reform being the road to ruin. These are the people who were showing up all pissed off at these town hall meetings...people who can't afford healthcare themselves. It's insanity.

I don't have health insurance. Fortunately, I can get some medical care through the Veteran's Admin, but I live in fear of a medical emergency. The VA doesn't cover ER visits, so to get any sort of emergency care that would not bankrupt me, the rules require that I travel to a VA hospital about 6 hours from here.

Speaking of welfare cheats, when I was doing home health care in San Francisco, I went to visit a woman who lived in a very nice house high on a hill over looking city college. Those familiar with SF will know that is a very nice neighborhood. She had beautiful furniture (nicer than mine) and a newer Lincoln parked in her garage. She was receiving MediCal which is California's MediCaid (welfare). I don't know how she qualified, but MediCal is what was paying for her health care.

Trust me, it is the poor who are opposed. Or at least a certain segment of the poor...specifically, rural white Americans who, for some unfathomable reason, buy into the whole Republican lie about health care reform being the road to ruin. These are the people who were showing up all pissed off at these town hall meetings...people who can't afford healthcare themselves. It's insanity.

I don't have health insurance. Fortunately, I can get some medical care through the Veteran's Admin, but I live in fear of a medical emergency. The VA doesn't cover ER visits, so to get any sort of emergency care that would not bankrupt me, the rules require that I travel to a VA hospital about 6 hours from here.

The whole rural white reaction makes no sense at all.

[quote name='Beer Chang' date='03 October 2009 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1254564937' post='1621]

I agree. Too much FOX News they watch.

The many people that watch FOX can easily believe that the garbage they put out is "fair and balanced." In the past, the rural white poor, especially in the South, were supporters of democratic agenda. Not anymore. The Rush Limbaugh's, Sean Hannity, O'Rielly and the like has helped changed that voting block.