Thaiway

Thai Food

Rate this topic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bf who is from CM, but lived in Udon Thani for 10 years told me Thais there eat with fingers when they have sticky rice and sometimes even with regular steamed rice.

Whoops, I must be a slob. I and everybody I've ever seen eat sticky rice up north eats it with their fingers.

Yes, sticky rice is eaten with fingers. It almost has to be. Sticky rice is balled up and eaten, which would be difficult to do with utensils. We eat certain food with fingers too. If I eat a sandwich, a piece of fried chicken, spare ribs, etc. I pick it up. I don't use utensils. Pizza seems to be optional. Some people use utensils and some pick it up. We sometimes even refer to some foods as finger food and finger sandwiches.

Why do you think they feed babies with a spoon?

I've visited families in the Philippines who eat dinner using only spoons. I've never been a fan of just using the spoon - gives me a hard time, especially if the plate's shallow, but I think a lot of people find it easier.

And oh, we also use our hands from time to time. I saw a mom feeding her six month old baby with using her bare hands. I have a year old child and I've been very particular about cleanliness and food - so I never feed her using my hands except when I'm holding finger foods (which means that I only hold a part of the food and not necessarily stuff my fingers into her mouth), and I've always been particular about cleanliness when it comes to feeding her - so that sight really freaked me out.

Sometimes we all get a bit hung up about perceived cleanliness. I'm no slob (keep a very clean house, shower, etc.) but, having been raised with 10 other siblings, the notion of sanitizing (or thinking you are) everything in the house or everything that comes in contact with your kids is a pipe dream. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a single thing that's within 3 feet of the floor of your house that your one-year-old hasn't slobbered all over (and that includes the toilet bowl...hehe). We're obviously born with marvelous immune systems.

My guess is you'd be aghast if somebody showed you on a microscope what's on your kitchen or bathroom counter, on any floor or in any carpet in your home, on any bed linen or pillow at this very moment. But, don't worry, no problem for anybody with a normal immune system.

Babies and kids are going to put things in their mouth. Try and keep things clean but the toddlers will find something to chew on, especially when they are cutting new teeth. It is just the way things are. I don't know how some of the nation's poor kids survive, with dirt floors and dirt streets. It must be that strong immune system.

I love curried chicken and I imagine Thai curry chicken as a meal to die for. I am drowning in my saliva with the thought of it. In the Philippines the dish is usually cooked with potatoes and bell pepper with coconut milk as well. The milk and potatoes make it really creamy and savory, while the oil from the chicken gives it the mouth-watering, sparkling glaze. It is usually not so very spiced up that a sauce maybe prepared using fish sauce with red or green hot chili pepper dashed in with calamansi juice (the next best thing to lemon in the Phils.) - the aroma from the sauce could get anyone really heavy with appetite. I do not finish without having my third and fourth servings, and usually with two glasses of ice cold cola drink to seal up the hearty meal.

I am sorry I wasn't able to catch up with the conversation here because I thought there was only one page. I was excited about sharing my love for curried food, which was the topic on first page, when you have gone all the way talking about western fastfood stores, using chopsticks, etc. in the last 3 pages. Pls bear with the newbie :P

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with your post. Not only the above-mentioned restaurants, but also the number of bakeries has increased exponentially. And Thais are buying more and more bread these days - more specifically Thais in Bangkok. If you're looking to start a business in Bangkok, I suggest a Thai Bakery.

From the AP today:

Krispy Kreme expanding into Thailand

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corp. said Thursday it has reached a deal to expand into Thailand with 20 new franchise locations over the next 5 years.

From the AP today:

Krispy Kreme expanding into Thailand

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corp. said Thursday it has reached a deal to expand into Thailand with 20 new franchise locations over the next 5 years.

Great, now the Thais can pig out on doughnuts. Will we see all the fat cops in the doughnut shop? Instead of tea money, it will be expanded to tea and doughnut money.

• 1 month later...

i love thai food well not just thai but anything exotic theres not much i wont eat or atleast try i was in patong recently and had a meal it was the thai fried rice but the egg was cooked so the yoke was runny and they sat it ontop of the rice at first i thaught thats weird but i mashed it through the fried rice and it was awsom best fried rice ive ever eated i also like the wedge of lime that they give you to squirt on your noodle and rice dishes i also had a green curry with it thay are unreal as much as you try to make the dishes at home theyre just not the same and the seafood there is something else the prawns that look like bannas fresh fish all top shelf

my favourite thai foods are

pad thai,green curry,cracked black pepper crab,whole fried fish,penang curry the list could go on i love it all

• 3 weeks later...

dirtyferang17 stated, "my favourite thai foods are pad thai, green curry, cracked black pepper crab, whole fried fish, penang curry the list could go on i love it all."

Those are some of my favorites, as well. The seafood in Thailand is great. I believe many farangs choose to retire in Thailand because of the good food.