Thaiway

Thai Food

Rate this topic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best Thai cookbook is IT RAINS FISHES by Kasma Loha-unchit.

Wow! Went to Amazon to put it in my cart. They only have it available from their used booksellers. There are four new copies available from those sellers at prices ranging from $176 to $275!! Used copies start at $60. Good grief...it must be a good cookbook. But I'll have to put off buying it for a little while.

eleothegreat: Have you considered having galangal shipped to you? Here's an eBay listing of someone selling powdered galangal in the UK who says they will ship worldwide. And here's a company in the States who sells the root itself. If you knew someone in the States who could forward it to you, that might work, if it's packaged properly and done quickly.

I am not sure if her website explains about the ingredients; if you have questions about them I will be happy to help out.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It was funny, I was at Wal-Mart today and had to pick up some soy sauce. They have this separate little section on the "ethnic aisle" for Thai food...except that their "Thai" section consisted of some pre-packaged soups from Thai Kitchen, a bunch of La Choy water chestnuts, and whole row of "Thai" kung pao chicken mix and multi-packs of chopsticks. No curry paste, no fish sauce, no spices...nothing.

Unfortunately, I'm in Panama City Beach, FL, which is a pretty small place. I haven't really explored the Asian markets here, but there don't seem to be many. One of the chain grocery stores seems to stock a so-so collection of Thai ingredients...I think because they get a lot of Thai students staying working here during the summers.

I've always heard that it's better to make your own curry pastes and spice mixes -- both Thai and Indian -- but I don't really feel quite advanced enough to do that yet. Right now, I just use the Thai Kitchen brand red and green pastes. For my Indian curries, I usually just combine commercial powdered cumin, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, ginger (I know, I know) and either ground garlic or fresh, depending on how much time I have.

Here is a list of Asian markets in Panama City. I am sure you can find what you need in one of them.

Asian Connection

6240 East Highway 98

Panama City, FL 32404

(850)874-1534

Korean Store

6121 Cherry Street

Panama City, FL 32404

(850)874-1651

Ocean Oriental Market

2904 East Highway 98

Panama City, FL 32401

(850)785-4279

Oriental Gifts & Market

8730 Thomas Drive

Panama City, FL 32408

(850)236-0260

Seoul Red Barn

4924 East Highway 98

Panama City, FL 32404

(850)874-9050

I was watching a Thai movie last night and all three of the main characters were eating with chopsticks...but it's my understanding that Thais use spoons, not chopsticks. Am I wrong about that, or could this have just been a concession to Western expectations that anybody Asian has to use chopsticks?

I was watching a Thai movie last night and all three of the main characters were eating with chopsticks...but it's my understanding that Thais use spoons, not chopsticks. Am I wrong about that, or could this have just been a concession to Western expectations that anybody Asian has to use chopsticks?

In Thailand both are regularly used. I have been to places where only chopsticks are used. Many restaurants provide both western utensils and chopsticks. The Thais do use spoons, both western types and oriental types. Also, Thai food is almost never served with a knife. They use the side of the spoon instead of a knife to cut food.

In Thailand both are regularly used. I have been to places where only chopsticks are used. Many restaurants provide both western utensils and chopsticks. The Thais do use spoons, both western types and oriental types. Also, Thai food is almost never served with a knife. They use the side of the spoon instead of a knife to cut food.

I like the Thai way of eating with a spoon instead of with a fork. I am a fast eater and can really shovel the food in with the spoon.

What's sad, at least to me, is the increasing number of chubby Thai kids over the last decade. Ten years ago, I almost never saw anything other than your typical skinny Thai kid but I've remarked more and more the last 5-6 years that there are "little buddhas" popping up all over the place. And some of them are actually rather huge at 10-12 years of age.

Why? My guess is it parallels the growth of the burger joints, Dunkin Donuts, Pizza Hut, KFC, and all the crap food of the west. Over the years, you see more and more Thai kids and teenagers frequenting these places.

I totally agree with your post. Not only the above-mentioned restaurants, but also the number of bakeries has increased exponentially. And Thais are buying more and more bread these days - more specifically Thais in Bangkok. If you're looking to start a business in Bangkok, I suggest a Thai Bakery.

I totally agree with your post. Not only the above-mentioned restaurants, but also the number of bakeries has increased exponentially. And Thais are buying more and more bread these days - more specifically Thais in Bangkok. If you're looking to start a business in Bangkok, I suggest a Thai Bakery.

I agree with the post, too. Seems like Western influence in Thailand is changing the way some people eat. Look at the many 7-11's and family marts and all the processed foods they sell.

I must add Issan (North East) food is wonderful as well. I've always enjoyed Kwaichap (Issan noodles) and Lap Ped (minced duck with chilli, green onions, mint, and fish sauce).

I like Issan food as well, although some is a little bit hot. In Issan don't they eat mostly with their hands, or do they use utensils?