Thaiway

Gender Selective Abortions in India

Rate this topic

Wino

I am not a big fan of abortion but believe if a woman has no qualms about it, she should have reproductive rights without interference from the state. China has been a society that favors male offspring. According to this article, India also prefers the son preference. " In most countries, there are about 105 female births for every 100 males. In India there are fewer than 93 women for every 100 men."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20091014/cm_csm/ywheelerweb

A church shouldn't have any say.

What I meant to say is a woman's right to abort is a legal issue and I believe no woman should be forced into the slavery of motherhood for 20 years without her consent.

But whether one should abort because they don't like the sex of the fetus has moral implications even if it is legal. And churches are one source of mainstream morality.

But they have a right to suggest to the flock that abortion is bad.

The Catholic Church sure preaches that abortion is bad. I don't think it is good but should be up to the individual. Abortion as a means of birth control or gender selection is not wise in my book.

The Catholic Church bans abortion no matter what the reason is; even to save the life of the woman, rape, or incest. How primitive is that!!!

Primitive to the max. Although if one believes, as some do, that the fetus is a child, then murder is murder no matter what.

Many religious groups don't want safe sex taught.

Sex by the church is viewed as dirty and a sin instead of looking at it as a normal human drive. The Catholic Church puts up with sex only to propagate the faith.

Gender selective abortion seems remarkably short-sighted, to me. As someone in the article pointed out, there are long-term social and genetic ramifications of this kind of culling. They're going to end up with too few women, and the overall population is going to decline. Fucking with the balance of nature is never smart.