Thaiway

Boyzone Member Stephen Gately dies at 33

Rate this topic

eleothegreat

If you're the same age as I am, then you've probably loved or listened to Boyzone (aside from Westlife and Backstreet boys, but that's aside the point, Im simply reminiscing) at some point in your child/teenhood. If you know them, then you probably remember Stephen Gately, the other lead vocalist aside from Ronan Keating. Sadly, he died last October 10, 2009 in Mallorca, Spain while he was on vacation.

Sad, sad. More of the story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_re_eu/eu_obit_stephen_gately

Very sad, so young and handsome! The cause of death will be interesting to know.

Interesting to know, indeed. A spokesman for the police in Spain said Gately died at 1.45pm in his house in Port Andratx, and added: "At the moment it is not known how he died. There are no signs of suspicious circumstances."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091011/tuk-stephen-gately-s-death-not-suspiciou-45dbed5.html

This By MANUEL MIELNIEZUK, Associated Press Writer, "There's no foul play involved, and it's not suicide. It's just a tragic accident is what we've been told, and we're happy that that is correct information," Kean said. "There is nothing untoward. It's not drugs, we don't believe. It's not suicide. It's not murder. It's not a fight. That's what we've been told."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091011/ap_on_en_mu/eu_obit_stephen_gately

If you're the same age as I am, then you've probably loved or listened to Boyzone...

How old are you? I'm close to 40 (aaarrrgghhhh), and the first time I ever heard of them was when this guy died. I'm not a fan of boy bands, but it seems like I've at least heard of most of them. Wondering how I missed this one.

How old are you? I'm close to 40 (aaarrrgghhhh), and the first time I ever heard of them was when this guy died. I'm not a fan of boy bands, but it seems like I've at least heard of most of them. Wondering how I missed this one.

i think they formed in 1993 and kinda took off from there. their followers were usually little kid and teen girls. LOL and boys.

Right wing columnist Jan Moir wrote what some describe as a nasty article about Stephen Gately's death. Here is her response from that clamor she started:

Some people, particularly in the gay community, have been upset by my article about the sad death of Boyzone member Stephen Gately. This was never my intention. Stephen, as I pointed out in the article was a charming and sweet man who entertained millions.

"However, the point of my column-which, I wonder how many of the people complaining have fully read - was to suggest that, in my honest opinion, his death raises many unanswered questions. That was all. Yes, anyone can die at anytime of anything. However, it seems unlikely to me that what took place in the hours immediately preceding Gately's death - out all evening at a nightclub, taking illegal substances, bringing a stranger back to the flat, getting intimate with that stranger - did not have a bearing on his death. At the very least, it could have exacerbated an underlying medical condition.

"The entire matter of his sudden death seemed to have been handled with undue haste when lessons could have been learned. On this subject, one very important point. When I wrote that 'he would want to set an example to any impressionable young men who may want to emulate what they might see as his glamorous routine', I was referring to the drugs and the casual invitation extended to a stranger. Not to the fact of his homosexuality. In writing that 'it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships' I was suggesting that civil partnerships - the introduction of which I am on the record in supporting - have proved just to be as problematic as marriages.

"In what is clearly a heavily orchestrated internet campaign I think it is mischievous in the extreme to suggest that my article has homophobic and bigoted undertones."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/oct/16/jan-moir-stephen-gately-response

yes. i think i was 8 or 10 when they catapulted into stardom. hehe LOL 1996-ish more or less. or at least that's the first time i heard them on the radio and saw them on MTV

Alas, by 1996, I was already heading into my declining years and had switched to the more sedate VH1. :P But hey, I know who the Jonas Brothers are...I'm still at least a little hip, right?

Right wing columnist Jan Moir wrote what some describe as a nasty article about Stephen Gately's death.

Yeah, I read her original article. She's claiming now that people who took it to mean that she blamed his death on his gay lifestyle just didn't read the article thoroughly. I gave it a pretty good look, though, and it sure seemed to me that she was making some pretty sleazy innuendoes (and some giant leaps of logic that weren't supported by the facts). If it was all just some big misunderstanding, then maybe the fault was with her own writing, not with how people read it.

One thing that really bugged me about this affair, though, was seeing other journalists, including one of the columnists in the Independent, calling on their readers to report her to the government. It's a little scary to see people who are supposed to be defenders of free speech encouraging government control.

I lost a very close friend when he was only 30. Being the UK of course there was an inquest which took about 6 months to actually happen. In the meantime I ditched many friends because of their views about possible causes, - AIDS, Drugs, suicide, etc - needless to say they were all wrong and it was at last publicly revealed that he had a Brain Hemorrhage, so please do not just assume that Stephen Gately didn't die of natural causes.

I lost a very close friend when he was only 30. Being the UK of course there was an inquest which took about 6 months to actually happen. In the meantime I ditched many friends because of their views about possible causes, - AIDS, Drugs, suicide, etc - needless to say they were all wrong and it was at last publicly revealed that he had a Brain Hemorrhage, so please do not just assume that Stephen Gately didn't die of natural causes.

I agree. Let's wait for the autopsy report. Articles like Jan Moir do no good whatsoever.