Thaiway

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Rate this topic

Wino

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that the wisdom, confidence and comfort level I have attained now with age is much preferable. Now the aches and pains that go along with ageing is another issue. Overall, if health issues are not a problem, I would much rather be in my 40's, 50's or 60's than be in my teens or 20's.

I have not been haunted or visited by anyone who has died, so I am inclined to not believe in it.

I have not been haunted or visited by a spirit, but that does not mean I do not believe that it is possible. Many others have had this experience.

Ghosts or hauntings? To my knowledge, there's never been any scientific verification of any such beings/events; as such, it's all baloney to me. Much like the boogeyman.

And I guess the same goes for God? God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost is all baloney, because it can not be scientifically verified. Maybe it can't be proven but millions believe.

Ir'a difficult to express anything publicly about religion because almost anything you say is insulting to those that have the "faith."

From the beginning of man, humans have called anything they don't understand "god." The funny noise (thunder) in the sky became Thor, the sea monster became Neptune, etc. We have progressed somewhat (we at least understand thunder now....) but what really gets my goat is an organized religion that believes it's the one true religion. Given there are thousands of religions around and many of them think they're the only one and true religion, the obvious answer is that one of them is right and all the rest of them are wrong - or, alternatively (the selection I make), they're all wrong.

Reality doesn't faze "faith." A four-year-old with his hands over his eyes believes he is invisible. Rather harmless fun but believing something doesn't make it true.

Because one does not believe in ghosts or hauntings, due to the fact of no experience or lack of scientific verification, does not mean it should be dismissed as hocus pocus. Religion or God cannot be scientifically verified but about 85% of the world believes in some form of this belief system. I would guess a majority of Thais believe in ghosts. When so many people believe in something, I think there may be something to it. On the flip side, at one time, most everyone believed the earth to be flat. I am not a religion supporter since it has caused much misery throughout the centuries, but I do, to some extent, believe in the spirit world.

Because one does not believe in ghosts or hauntings, due to the fact of no experience or lack of scientific verification, does not mean it should be dismissed as hocus pocus.

Some rather strange logic there.

Unless you've experienced it or unless a credible source (like science) tells you it exists, there's no rational basis to believe it exists. Sorry, but that's what I go by. And, right or wrong, I do believe that anyone who believes in such things simply is a few fries short of a happy meal.

Now, excuse me, I must go as the little man on my shoulder is telling me to go hurt somebody again.

Why is it that if God talks to people, it is a religious experience, but if other voices are heard, it's mental illness?

I understand that sex is often a religious experience (or something like that as, in the midst of it all, they're yelling "Oh God! Oh God!"

That reminds me of the little boy who went to visit his grandma for the weekend. At bedtime, he hopped into bed. His grandma said, "you get out of that bed and kneel down and say your prayers." He knelt down, but said, "Grandma, I don't know any prayers." She said, "Just say what your hear your parents say." He said, "Om my God, I'm cumming. Jesus Christ, wait for me."

This is kind of funny...the University of Kentucky conducted a study of sexuality attitudes and concluded that women who see sex as a sacred experience tend to have it more often and with more partners. They needed a study to figure that out? Haven't they ever met any hippie chicks?

“Believing one is intimately tied to other human beings and that interconnectedness and harmony are indispensible may lead one to believe sexual intimacy possesses a divine or transcendent quality in itself. In fact, ascribing sacred qualities to sex has been positively associated with positive affective reactions to sex, frequency of sex, and number of sexual partners among university students.†-- University researcher Jessica Burris.

More