Thaiway

2 million childbirth deaths worldwide

Rate this topic

Wino

Two million babies and mothers die in childbirth. That boggles my mind. I had no idea that number would be so high. Here is the story,

By CELEAN JACOBSON, Associated Press Writer Celean Jacobson, Associated Press Writer

JOHANNESBURG – More than 2 million babies and mothers die worldwide each year from childbirth complications, outnumbering child deaths from malaria and HIV/AIDS, according to a study released Tuesday.

The study, launched at the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics world congress being held in Cape Town, also showed that such deaths could be easily avoided.

Full story at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091006/ap_on_re_af/af_south_africa_baby_deaths;_ylt=AkvnpEZzqJiL55SFgrBo3DtvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJzajBlNHJxBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMDA2L2FmX3NvdXRoX2FmcmljYV9iYWJ5X2RlYXRocwRjcG9zAzIEcG9zAzUEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDcmVwb3J0Mm1pbGxp

That's a huge number. Even with the right pre natal care, pregnancy still poses its own risks. That's why I don't wanna give birth again. EVER. I'd rather adopt. Plenty of parent less children to take care of. Hoo hoo.

Childbirth is risky. I can imagine the pain involved is enough to make sure you use birth control. If men had to bear the pain of childbirth, we wouldn't have a population problem. I guess there is always the C-section, but that is major surgery and painful, as well.

What about the Catholic stance on condoms or other birth control?

My view is "If you don't play the game, you don't get to make the rules".

Most free-thinking Catholics I know take that stance with a grain of salt. Nice guidelines but not practical.

I am sure you are right, but the Catholic church says it is a mortal sin. The church needs to get realistic.

That's why they invented confession. Say one "Our Father" and three "Hail Mary's" and all is well.