Thaiway

Member Rank Titles

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

Bourdain doesn't realize that the tuk tuk drivers take them to places where they will get a kickback, well, maybe he does realize it, but his producers pay big money to these guys.

Once in Bangkok, on a Saturday, I wanted to go to the weekend market, Chatuchok (sp), by tuk tuk. The driver persisted in telling me that the market was only open on Sunday and he would take me to a market that was open. I knew this was nonsense and a scam. When I couldn't get him to take me where I wanted to go, I told him to stop and let me out. Suddenly, he changed his mind and said he would take me to Chatuchok. I got out anyway and took a regular metered taxi.

One day I took a tuk tuk that included the gem store/tailor shop tour. A nice cheap way to see the city as long as you don't buy anything. Also took me to an obscure shrine. Not sure if this was to legitimize the trip or another kickback scheme due to the offereing box.

Do the drivers get paid a flat fee kickback or if someone buys gems to they get a percentage?

They get a percentage of what you buy. A few weeks ago I was in the OTOP shop in Pattaya with my bf. After we left my bf told me the sales girl asked him if he was a taxi driver who brought me into the shop. So she would know what to mark up the price in order to give him his commission. I hadn't bought anything, but if I had, that would have meant that I got a discount.

Getting back to Member Rank Titles, I noticed Thaimo and Smoker have over a hundred posts but are still newbies? What's up with that? Did they find the poster's version of the fountain of youth? Oh how I would like to be a newbie again.

OTOP can be seen on signs throughout Thailand. It is the Thai government way of promoting local handicrafts or products. I forget what OTOP stands for but it is something like one villiage, one product. I think it is a great idea and really helps the local people.

OTOP can be seen on signs throughout Thailand. It is the Thai government way of promoting local handicrafts or products. I forget what OTOP stands for but it is something like one villiage, one product. I think it is a great idea and really helps the local people.

Yep, same meaning. One Tambon One Product.

(and Tambon is a village and definitely doesn't have strings on it...)

Crazy Expat, you asked for creativity, but you may regret that. I have tried to take into account what all have said and want to avoid causing offence(religious connotations)I liked Smokers food suggestions but have tried to go one stage further to satisfy Bob's comment about some postings having no substance, unfortunately this will mean you having to rate postings:

Appetizer

Soup,

Fish,

Main Course

Sweet,

Dessert

Cheese,

Beverage

Now I hear you say 'how does that help with ranking'?

This is where YOU need to rank postings -

Appetizer is a newbie finding their way,

Soup could be actually done by naming a soup - Consomme, a lot of liquid but no body, or Minestrone, full of lots of varied substance

Fish could be used for fishy posts where the content is dubious i.e an isolated opinion rather than unarguable facts,

Main Course, substantial and satisfying,

Sweet, a cute or funny opinion,

Dessert differs from sweet because it is healthy (fruit) and nutritional (nuts)

Cheese, a bit cheesy i.e. funny to some but offensive to others,

Beverage could be named like the soup - A spirit could be strong and powerful, wine tasty and with a bit of a kick, Beer maybe lots of substance or a bit too much and lemonade could be no substance but lots of fizz.

Maybe a bit too complicated, especially as many of the posts are open to interpretation, but you cajoled us to be creative and many of the latter posts have moved away from the point, so I have tried to adapt the best ideas of a number of other posts.