Thaiway

Thailand Do, Thailand Don't

Rate this topic

While Thailand is quickly becoming superficially Western, there are still plenty of Thai habits and culture that are practiced by its people. As a foreign traveler, you may find it quite difficult to go through the many cultural norms in Thailand, but you need not worry.

Thais are very forgiving, and tolerant of cultural faux pas, especially if they are well intentioned. The also appreciate foreigners and their earnest attempts to pay respect to their culture.

Here are some common do's and don'ts that you can use as guide on your next trip to the country.

REMEMBER TO SMILE

Smiling is a cultural habit that most Westerners never get. But Thais smile under almost any kind of situation. So if you want to do as the locals do, smile - as often as you can.

DON'T LOSE YOUR TEMPER

For Thais, only people with poor upbringing and fools lose their tempers and raise their voices in public. Trash talking and loud voices usually don't get you what you want in Thailand. So try to keep face and, as the first point goes, remember to smile.

REMEMBER THE BODY PARTS

The Thais regard the head as the most sacred body part - so never touch the head at all times. The feet, which is the lowest, is also the filthiest.

I suppose you wouldn't touch anyone using your feet as well, or you wouldn't want anyone to touch you using their feet. Don't point at anything using your feet as well.

LEAVE YOUR SHOES OUTSIDE

Leaving your shoes outside before entering a house of an office is a sign of politeness.

PUBLIC DISPLAY OF AFFECTION

Remember that Thais are modest people, and public displays of affection are not encouraged.

THE WAI

Instead of shaking peoples hands, Thais wai to each other in order to greet people, and is a way of showing respect. A Wai is a short bow that is done with both hands held close together to the chest and chin.

While this can be easy to do, there are some things that you need to take note of. The depth of your wai depends on the status of the person that you are greeting.

NEVER OFFEND THEIR RELIGION

Buddhism is the main religion of Thailand, so take extra care so as not to offend their religious beliefs. If you are to visit a temple, do so by wearing appropriate clothes. Try to learn basic religious courtesies and rules so you don't offend them.

SHOW RESPECT FOR THE ROYAL FAMILY

Thais place the royal family in high regard, and have deep respect for them. So even the friendliest jest about their monarchs will not be appreciated. Remember that respect for the King and his family isn't just about being polite - it's about following the law.

I'm sure there are plenty more tips that you can give to the first time traveler, so post away!

Thais have many different smiles meaning very different things. The subtlety is not easy to detect.

Never step over another person. If you accidentally kick or step on someone's toes, immediately apologize profusely. If you really want to get a good ass kicking, intentionally kick someone.

The younger person or the person of lower stature does the wai first. Believe it or not, the King would wai first to a monk.

Very good advice, both of you!!

Just one more to add that may seem strange to western people. If you are given a gift it is considered impolite to open it immediately. Take it away with you and then open it.

Always remember to smile as has been said and hard though it is when you get frustrated, raising your voice won't help.I have found it hard to get used to never using my feet (except for walking on), I am used to being lazy and will occasionally save bending down and move something aside with my foot, but even when done gently (I understand why kicking would be frowned upon) it is still wrong. I also get told off for wai-ing first, when as an older person I should respond, not lead.

That brings to mind, if you every drop any money and it is blowing or rolling away NEVER step on it to stop it. Thais will be very upset with you. The King's image is on the money and you can't step on the King.

One time I was on a songthiew with a Thai. There were some Russians on the songtiew and when they left the Thai said, " I don't like that guy." I asked why and he said, "He put money in his sock and you should not put the King by your feet."

REMEMBER TO SMILE

This really works. I have a farang buddy who naturally smiles all the time, a friendly bloke. When we're walking he'll invariably get into a random conversation with a Thai he never met before.

Some cultures are the opposite. In New York, it's borderline rude to smile at a starnger on the street.

That brings to mind, if you every drop any money and it is blowing or rolling away NEVER step on it to stop it. Thais will be very upset with you. The King's image is on the money and you can't step on the King.

One time I was on a songthiew with a Thai. There were some Russians on the songtiew and when they left the Thai said, " I don't like that guy." I asked why and he said, "He put money in his sock and you should not put the King by your feet."

The feet thing is really hard for some Westerners to comprehend. I have heard in Thailand, showing the bottom of your foot is like giving a person the middle finger in the West. I witnessed this at the MacDonald on Silom a few years ago. There was a guy and girl kidding around and apparently the guy said something the girl did not like and she gave him the bottom of her foot.

In Thailand, the older you are the more experience you have and the more respect people owe you. Remember not to question a senior person at work.

The young people in the west could learn from this particular Asian quality.

I suppose it's not just paying/showing respect to elders that's necessary - I think what's important is teaching kids (and everyone else) to be respectful to everyone regardless of stature. And I don't mean doormat respectful - I mean dealing with people in appropriate manners and speaking in appropriate tones and the like.

One must respect another's religion no matter what kind it is. It enriches the soul, helps define the thoughts and actions of a man that makes him human, the most spiritual of his ways and words. The choice to belong to a particular religion, and the manner he practices it accordingly should be left to that person alone, it is his right anyway. It is one's absolute right to believe in God - and it is an absolute wrong to show no respect.

My people even if down with calamity after calamity would still care to smile and laugh about all of it, with every uproarious laugh shaking off the tear in their eyes. It was contained in a survey a long time ago that pinoys belong to the top ten happiest people in the world despite the odds. In that case, Pinoys would mingle well with Thais who are all smiles.

My people even if down with calamity after calamity would still care to smile and laugh about all of it, with every uproarious laugh shaking off the tear in their eyes. It was contained in a survey a long time ago that pinoys belong to the top ten happiest people in the world despite the odds. In that case, Pinoys would mingle well with Thais who are all smiles.

I believe both the Pinoys and Thais are happy. Is it all Asians? I saw the Burmese after typhoon Nagis hit and despite all the problems, the people pitched in and made things work even without much help except from each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is human nature to rise up after every fall, to show a smile in order to conceal the bitterness. It's just that we Asians are living proof of this nature. It is truly what sets us apart from our non-Asian counterpart, but it is not too late to remind them to not forget to smile.

• 2 weeks later...

Thais have many different smiles meaning very different things. The subtlety is not easy to detect.

Never step over another person. If you accidentally kick or step on someone's toes, immediately apologize profusely. If you really want to get a good ass kicking, intentionally kick someone.

The younger person or the person of lower stature does the wai first. Believe it or not, the King would wai first to a monk.

very good advice thank you B)