Thaiway

Smoking

Rate this topic

smoker

What are the real smoking policies here. I see many signs that say "no smoking' but then see people smoking in the bars.

I don't want to get arrested, but I do like to smoke.

What's the real system?

The real system is it is always best to follow the law. Thailand is smoke free inside the bars. I suggest you walk outside for a cig. It does not bother me in the least to have smoking in the bars. I know some who hate it and others who love it.

I have not heard of a customer getting fined for this, but it is possible. Most likely, it will be the bar that gets fined. That being said, I was in over 10 bars in Bangkok last week and all allowed smoking.

The problem with me in going outside is that I travel alone and I worry I'll lose my seat or table.

You leave your glass there and tell them you are going to smoke and you won't loose your seat. They link the seat to your bill. :) They will keep an eye on you. If you are a regular, you will never have a problem. If you look shady, they may have a problem. Most bars in Bangkok don't care about the smoking policy and don't enforce them as far as I can see. But, to be on the safe side, step outside.

I don't want to get arrested, but I do like to smoke.

I used to like to smoke so much That I would wake up at 2 or 3 AM most mornings to smoke a cigarette then go back to sleep. I liked to smoke so much I would have a cigarette before getting out of bed in the morning. I liked to smoke so much after 9 years smoking PALL MALL non-filters I switched to CAMEL non-filters for the next 11 years. I liked to smoke so much that when I ran out of cigarettes I would pilfer my ashtrays for good butts to smoke. Those were the good old days when you could still smoke basically anywhere except elevators. However, now it seems as if smoking is socially unacceptable.

My question to Smoker is: will you please list some of the reasons you like to smoke?

I stopped smoking 23 years ago when I realized I no longer enjoyed it. However,I feel certain I liked smoking very much, or why would I have smoked for 20 years ?

1. It relaxes me.

2. I like the feeling of the burning smoke in my lungs followed by the release. Kinda like the way a cold shot of vodka burns as it goes down before it gives you that hit of euphoria.

3. It feels good in my hand.

4. I like the taste.

5. I believe in an existential awareness and acceptance of mortality. To live life, you need to challenge death in some way.

6. I'm a creative person and when I'm blocked in my creative work a cigarette will often unblock me so I can complete my art.

7. Being around people who have never smoked is generally annoying. Being around smokers (current or former) generally isn't. They are the free spirits, deep thinkers and challenging people in the world.

8. It keeps me from fidgeting - which even as a child I would do.

9. It's part of who I am as well as being part of who I choose to be.

10. There are many three to five minute moments in the day that are easily filled by a nice cigarette.

11. In a boring conversation in a bar? "Excuse me, I have to go outside and smoke."

12. Sex with smokers is always better than sex with non smokers and being a smoker helps you find your fellow orally fixated fiends.

"12. Sex with smokers is always better than sex with non smokers and being a smoker helps you find your fellow orally fixated fiends."

As a reformed smoker (33 years), I have to disagree with you on this one. Smokers don't notice how bad smokers smell; breath, hands, hair and clothes. Bad smells put me off sex.

1. It relaxes me.

2. I like the feeling of the burning smoke in my lungs followed by the release. Kinda like the way a cold shot of vodka burns as it goes down before it gives you that hit of euphoria.

3. It feels good in my hand.

4. I like the taste.

5. I believe in an existential awareness and acceptance of mortality. To live life, you need to challenge death in some way.

6. I'm a creative person and when I'm blocked in my creative work a cigarette will often unblock me so I can complete my art.

7. Being around people who have never smoked is generally annoying. Being around smokers (current or former) generally isn't. They are the free spirits, deep thinkers and challenging people in the world.

8. It keeps me from fidgeting - which even as a child I would do.

9. It's part of who I am as well as being part of who I choose to be.

10. There are many three to five minute moments in the day that are easily filled by a nice cigarette.

11. In a boring conversation in a bar? "Excuse me, I have to go outside and smoke."

12. Sex with smokers is always better than sex with non smokers and being a smoker helps you find your fellow orally fixated fiends.

Some, certainly not all, are the same rationalizations I felt when I smoked. Now that I have been an ex-smoker longer than I smoked, I have a different perspective.

I clearly was addicted to cigarettes. Perhaps you are not.

I am certain the quality of my life has greatly improved.

Why do you think such a vast majority of smokers attempt to quit?

But if we are both smokers we won't notice the smell so it won't effect us.

I've never once had sex, or even made out, with a non-smoker so I can't say for sure, but maybe the way a non smoker smells would be a sexual turn off for me.

You previously said you thought that sex with a smoker was better than with a non smoker. How could you know that?

The notion that a non smoker has a distinctive smell doesn't hold up. If you want to smoke, that's your business, but don't make factitious statements to justify it. You smoke and like it. Let that be it.

My question to Smoker is: will you please list some of the reasons you like to smoke?

I may be wrong but in my book, the number one reason most smokers continue to smoke is that they are physically addicted to nicotine.

I can say this because I have friends who are smokers and those who are non smokers

And, overwhelmingly the ones who are into blow jobs/eating pussy/fucking every night are the smokers and overwhelmingly the girls I know who are miarried to guys who don't smoke bitch that their guys don't fuck them enough and the guys I know who are dating/married to non smokers say their girlfriends or boyfriends don't blow them enough.

You previously said you thought that sex with a smoker was better than with a non smoker. How could you know that?

The notion that a non smoker has a distinctive smell doesn't hold up. If you want to smoke, that's your business, but don't make factitious statements to justify it. You smoke and like it. Let that be it.

I'd smoke even if I wasn't addicted because I really enjoy it.

Geez, that sounds a heck of lot like what a lot of alcoholics have told me in the past. One of the reasons you "enjoy" it - or think you do - is that you are addicted.

Don't worry, I'm not giving you any crap over it. I'm addicted too....and wish I wasn't.

As concerns the "no smoking" policy of establishments, I simply won't smoke in any building anywhere near non-smokers without their permission (and, oftentimes, still won't do it). Hell, even outside I will stay away from non-smokers the best I can. I recognize how bad it smells to others and, besides, I don't have a right to fill their lungs with my second-hand smoke or to stink up their clothing.

I am also a respectful smoker. And, I won't smoke around non-smokers.

That said, I wonder why I have to justify my smoking. I work hard for my money and if I enjoy smoking I should have the right to spend my money on it and enjoy it.

I'm not going to be one of these people who apologizes for it.

That said, I wonder why I have to justify my smoking.

I don't think you or I have to do so.....as we both have the right to ruin our health that way if we want to do so.

The only time we get shit about it is because we (or other smokers) are infringing on the rights of others.

By the way, a lot of smokers (like you and definitely me) sure get rather defensive about the topic when it's brought up. In my view (and, again, you know I'm a long-time smoker), it's probably because we know how stupid it is for us to do it in the first place. I actually feel rather embarrassed about it as I know (or think) that I'm smart enough to know not to do it. I wish I had the will to quit (but I don't).

I am also a respectful smoker. And, I won't smoke around non-smokers.

That said, I wonder why I have to justify my smoking. I work hard for my money and if I enjoy smoking I should have the right to spend my money on it and enjoy it.

I'm not going to be one of these people who apologizes for it.

I think both smokers and not-smokers should be respectful of each other, but not everyone is like you and Bob. Some smokers light up when and where ever they want. I have also seen a non-smoker have a hissy fit because a person was smoking nearby in an outdoor patio setting. Can't we all just get along?

I'm not embarrassed about my smoking.

I don't see it as any different from my love of pork chops and Russian vodka.

Sure, they aren't great for my health - but, so what, life is short and they make my life better.

Smoking is your right. I wish you could talk to some long-time smokers with lung cancer or end-stage emphysema. I think they might advise you to take a different path in life.

As would long time pork chop eaters with heart disease and long time martini drinkers with bad livers.

A bunch of years ago the Gauloise cigarette company ran a billboard where they showed a bunch of people living in a nursing home.

The tagline was "Smoking will take years off your life, but consider which years."

As would long time pork chop eaters with heart disease and long time martini drinkers with bad livers.

A bunch of years ago the Gauloise cigarette company ran a billboard where they showed a bunch of people living in a nursing home.

The tagline was "Smoking will take years off your life, but consider which years."

I guess liver disease and many cancers would be a painful death, as well. For me, gasping for air is a difficult way to live. Nothing that a bullet to the temple won't cure!!