Thaiway

A Woman With Determination

Rate this topic

Wino

At 68, this woman is not going to take no for an answer. I like that determination. I hope she does not have to take the "behind the wheel test" 950 times.

SEOUL, South Korea – A woman in South Korea who tried to pass the written exam for a driver's license with near-daily attempts since April 2005 has finally succeeded on her 950th time.

The aspiring driver spent more than 5 million won ($4,200) in application fees, but until now had failed to score the minimum 60 out of a possible 100 points needed to get behind the wheel for a driving test.

Cha Sa-soon, 68, finally passed the written exam with a score of 60 on Wednesday, said Choi Young-chul, a police official at the drivers' license agency in Jeonju, 130 miles (210 kilometers) south of Seoul.

Police said Cha took the test hundreds of times, but had no specific total. Local media said she took the test 950 times.

Now she must pass a driving test before getting her license, Choi said.

Repeated calls to Cha seeking comment went unanswered. She told the Korea Times newspaper she needed the license for her vegetable-selling business.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_fe_st/as_odd_skorea_aspiring_driver;_ylt=ArGAJRxlxnq8q0cLkqagKPjtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJ1Z2JkZTR1BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMTA2L2FzX29kZF9za29yZWFfYXNwaXJpbmdfZHJpdmVyBGNwb3MDMgRwb3MDNgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNza29yZWFud29tYW4-

One of my sisters-in-law worked for the Secretary of State for 35+ years and, for about 10 of those years, was the person who went driving with the proposed licensee during their road tests (the proposed licensee had to provide the vehicle and the Secretary of State person went along and graded their performance). The stories she tells are both hilarious and pathetic.

She was in over 40 accidents, 19 of which occurred before they ever left the Secretary of State's parking lot. There were guys and gals who she saw more than once a year for the entire ten years and had to fail them each time because they were totally incapable of operating a motor vehicle. Some couldn't get the car they (or one of their relatives) brought started, some couldn't get it in gear, one broke the turn signal lever off trying to get the car in gear. They cried, pleaded with her, attempted to bribe her, told her they had a fatal illness and just wanted to drive before they died, etc. Overall, a job I'm glad I never had.

I'm 21. Have had numerous chances to learn how to drive, but I don't even know how to turn the ignition keys on. Well. I can turn it, but are you supposed to step on something? Haha. I don't know. I'm not that interested in driving. Or maybe I'm just scared. I've had millions of chances to learn how to drive motorcycles as well. My cousins who are three to five years younger than me already know how to do so.

But I still don't. And I don'r care. (Bitter? <_< )

The stories she tells are both hilarious and pathetic.

I bet there are a lot of funny sotires. When I was just a young lad, I remember my sister telling how her friend flunked the driving test. Your nerves are shot when you are sixteen and taking your driving test for the first time. In this particular case, the driving instructor told her to make the next left. She did and flunked the test. It was a one way street.

One of my sisters-in-law worked for the Secretary of State for 35+ years and, for about 10 of those years, was the person who went driving with the proposed licensee during their road tests (the proposed licensee had to provide the vehicle and the Secretary of State person went along and graded their performance). The stories she tells are both hilarious and pathetic.

She was in over 40 accidents, 19 of which occurred before they ever left the Secretary of State's parking lot. There were guys and gals who she saw more than once a year for the entire ten years and had to fail them each time because they were totally incapable of operating a motor vehicle. Some couldn't get the car they (or one of their relatives) brought started, some couldn't get it in gear, one broke the turn signal lever off trying to get the car in gear. They cried, pleaded with her, attempted to bribe her, told her they had a fatal illness and just wanted to drive before they died, etc. Overall, a job I'm glad I never had.

Bob, I think all those people bought giant Cadillacs and moved to Florida, where they drive 35 mph in the passing lane.

Bob, I think all those people bought giant Cadillacs and moved to Florida, where they drive 35 mph in the passing lane.

Hehe. Well, when my folks were alive, they had a winter place in Scottsdale and I used to visit them there.....and I can assure you that lot of those failed drivers (and just old folk) went out west too. All the Mercedes, Roll, Austin Healeys, etc., going 13.5 miles an hour down the street where the top of their head barely makes it to the top of the steering wheel. And if they're going to turn right, you can time it with a sundial....

Of course, a lot of them never drove late or after sundown (their day was pretty much finished after they went to dinner at 4PM at what we used to call the "blue hair specials").

Damn, lvdkeyes, sounds like we'll both likely be doing the same in another couple of decades....

It is tough for an older person to give up the independence that a vehicle allow them to have. When we had to take the keys away from my father, it was a major issue. A year later, he still threatened to walk up to the local car dealer and buy another one.

I have no idea why this 68 year old woman is so determined to drive, but I still admire her spunk.