Thaiway

Shift in US policy towards Burma

Rate this topic

Wino

The US government is to embark on a major policy shift towards Burma after concluding that its long-term policy of sanctions had failed to sway the junta.

The US state department confirmed yesterday that the new strategy, while keeping sanctions in place, will involve high-level engagement with Burmese leaders, in line with Barack Obama's general policy of talking with countries it regards as international pariahs.

Obama, in contrast with George Bush's administration, has already offered to hold direct talks with Iran and North Korea.

The shift was signalled on the sidelines of the UN general assembly in New York last night when the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, said she will move "in the direction of both engagement and continued sanctions".

Speaking at a Friends of Burma meeting, she said: "Engagement versus sanctions is a false choice in our opinion. Going forward we will be employing both of those tools."

The US is pushing for the introduction of democracy and the release of the opposition leader and Nobel Peace prize-winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

A spokesman for the National League for Democracy party said Aung San Suu Kyi agreed with the change in strategy. Nyan Win spoke after he met the Burmese opposition leader at her home, where she is serving her latest term of her house arrest.

"She accepted the idea of engagement by the US administration. She said she has always espoused engagement, however, [she] suggested that engagement had to be done with both sides the government as well as the democratic forces," Nyan Win said.

The strategy shift comes at the end of a policy review on Burma ordered by Clinton in February. The move coincides with a visit by the Burmese leader Than Shwe to the UN general assembly, the first senior member of the junta to attend for 14 years. In an effort to try to ease criticism of the country's human rights record, the junta is reported to have released 7,000 prisoners on the eve of his visit.

A US official familiar with the new policy said that when Clinton ordered the review she said that neither sanctions or the policy of engagement by the regional body ASEAN had worked.

"We will be using a mix of policy tools. Sanctions remain important. By themselves, they have not produced the results we would like, but that does not mean they don't have value. And also dialogue," said the official.

The official, stressing that the junta had been in power for more than 40 years, added: "I have to stress we're going into this with eyes wide open. We're not expecting dramatic, immediate results but we think that going forward with a more nuanced approach that focuses on trying to achieve results and that's based on pragmatism, it increases the chances of success over time."

Although the US and Burma have diplomatic relations, the official said the contact would be at a higher level than before, and that Burma and the US would soon appoint figures to act as interlocutors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/24/burma-obama-foreign-policy

It's good to see Obama isn't another George Bush who pig-headedly continued along paths which were leading nowhere!!

I don't like the idea of engaing with the Military Junta but trying to cut them off hasn't worked so I guess we have to try friendly persuasion even though the type of persuasion they use on dissenting countrymen is a long way from friendly!!!

It's good to see Obama isn't another George Bush who pig-headedly continued along paths which were leading nowhere!!

I don't like the idea of engaing with the Military Junta but trying to cut them off hasn't worked so I guess we have to try friendly persuasion even though the type of persuasion they use on dissenting countrymen is a long way from friendly!!!

I don't like talking to the nasty military junta, either but I think it is better than what we have done in the past. Talking doesn't really hurt anything. Maybe we will start talking to the Cubans, as well.

While I applaud the new perspectives of the Obama administration, I feel convinced that nothing will change in Burma unless and until China decides it will change it's policy of non-interference. Borne from the fear that any open condemnation of activities of other governments would lead to international criticism of some things occurring within China itself, China tolerates and even supports a couple of the worst governments on earth that happen to border China.

George Bush pursued a foreign policy that was immature and completely without nuance. I absolutely believe that there are some regimes that must be changed and can only be changed by force. However, when you start from that position, you leave yourself no room to maneuver. You have to begin from a position that offers you as many options as possible. I bet Bush was a lousy chess player.

George Bush pursued a foreign policy that was immature and completely without nuance. I absolutely believe that there are some regimes that must be changed and can only be changed by force. However, when you start from that position, you leave yourself no room to maneuver. You have to begin from a position that offers you as many options as possible. I bet Bush was a lousy chess player.

A chess proverb is that the threat is stronger than the execution.

While I applaud the new perspectives of the Obama administration, I feel convinced that nothing will change in Burma unless and until China decides it will change it's policy of non-interference. Borne from the fear that any open condemnation of activities of other governments would lead to international criticism of some things occurring within China itself, China tolerates and even supports a couple of the worst governments on earth that happen to border China.

How true your statement is. China is not about to change its policy. They are benefiting greatly from Burma's isolation. Burma is rich in natural resources and China is taking advantage of those resources.

Oh those generals in Burma! Here is the latest story.

YANGON, Myanmar – A court in military-ruled Myanmar rejected opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's latest bid for freedom Friday, turning down the Nobel Peace laureate's appeal of her most recent sentence of house arrest, her lawyer said.

Suu Kyi was convicted and sentenced in August for briefly sheltering an uninvited American at her home earlier this year, in a verdict that drew international condemnation and ensured that she would not be able to participate in elections scheduled for next year.

She argued in the appeal that the conviction was unwarranted, but the Yangon Division court ruled against her, lawyer Nyan Win said.

He said Suu Kyi's legal team would file a new appeal to the Supreme Court within 60 days, and that Friday's proceedings had opened a new possibility for the defense's legal arguments.

If that fails, the final resort would be a special appeals court in the new capital, Naypyitaw.

He said the court accepted the argument that the military-abolished 1974 constitution under which Suu Kyi was charged was null and void. However, it said a 1975 security law — based on some clauses of the 1974 constitution — under which she has been held under house arrest remained in force.

"I think there is a window open over there. They have opened a window," Nyan Win said.

Already in detention for about 14 of the last 20 years, Myanmar's pro-democracy icon was sentenced in August to another 18 months for sheltering the American, John Yettaw.

Yettaw has said he wanted to warn Suu Kyi he had a "vision" that she would be assassinated. He was sentenced to seven years in prison but released on humanitarian grounds and deported less than a week after the verdict.

Security was tight for Friday's ruling, with riot police ringing the court house.

In the appeal, Suu Kyi's lawyers raised no new substantive arguments that had not been heard in the original district court trial.

Myanmar's courts almost always follow the same hard line toward Suu Kyi and the country's democracy movement, which the military government often accuses of collaborating with the country's enemies to destroy the nation.

But Friday's ruling came amid a tentative change in the political winds, after the United States announced last week it was modifying its tough policy of seeking only to isolate the military regime and would instead try to engage it through high-level talks.

The U.S. said it will not give up its political and economic sanctions against the regime. It and other Western nations apply sanctions because of Myanmar's poor human rights record and its failure to turn over power to Suu Kyi's party after it won the last elections in 1990.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell, the top U.S. diplomat for East Asia, told the Senate Foreign Relations Asia Subcommittee on Wednesday that lifting sanctions as the administration tries to start a dialogue, without Myanmar making any democratic changes, would be a mistake.

At the same time, Suu Kyi, 64, has made what appears to be a confidence-building gesture toward the junta, suggesting last week in a letter to leader Senior Gen. Than Shwe that she is willing to cooperate with it to have the sanctions lifted, according to a statement from her National League for Democracy party.

She had previously welcomed sanctions as a way to pressure the junta to achieve political reconciliation with the pro-democracy movement. The movement has insisted on concessions from the government if they are to work together, particularly the freeing of political prisoners and the reopening of party offices around the country.

Suu Kyi was convicted Aug. 11 and sentenced to three years in prison with hard labor after Yettaw secretly swam to her home. The sentence was commuted to 18 months of house arrest by Than Shwe.

Suu Kyi has described the conviction as unfair. Authorities would not let her attend the appeal hearing.

Myanmar's courts almost always follow the same hard line toward Suu Kyi and the country's democracy movement, which the military government often accuses of collaborating with the country's enemies to destroy the nation.

Hard-liners are the same everywhere...and never seem to comprehend that it is they who are destroying the nation.

I find this interesting. I hope this helps Suu Kyi in her bid to be released from house arrest.

"Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi held a rare meeting with a minister from the ruling junta on Saturday, a government source said, a week after she offered to work for withdrawal of sanctions on the country." Full story at, http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091003/wl_nm/us_myanmar_suukyi_3

Aung San Suu Kyi changes her view on sanctions and meets with UK ambassador and others for an hour. Looks like this is a tiny step in the right direction. Here is the story:

"Burma's democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been allowed by ruling generals to meet top Western diplomats.

The Rangoon talks focused on the long-standing Western sanctions.

Ms Suu Kyi met the UK ambassador and the deputy heads of the Australian and US missions for talks lasting an hour at a state guesthouse.

The US recently announced a change of policy, saying it would pursue dialogue with the military regime while maintaining sanctions.

Reports suggest Ms Suu Kyi has softened her views on sanctions in recent times, concluding they are adversely affecting the lives of ordinary Burmese while the military rulers still manage to conduct trade with China and other neighbours."

Full story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8298229.stm

• 3 months later...

Perhaps the generals are feeling the world's pressure to free Aung San Suu Kyi. I hope she is free soon.

YANGON, Myanmar – Myanmar's highest court began hearing arguments Monday on detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's house arrest and is expected to make a ruling later this week.

Suu Kyi's lawyers appealed to the Supreme Court last month after a lower court upheld a decision to sentence her to an additional 18 months of house arrest. She had been convicted in August of violating the previous terms of her detention by briefly sheltering an American intruder who swam uninvited to her lakeside home.

Suu Kyi's lawyer Nyan Win said he will argue the extension was unlawful because it was based on provisions from the 1974 Constitution that are no longer in effect.

The court also agreed to review the house arrest of Suu Kyi's two female companions, who are also ordered confined for 18 months at her compound in Yangon.

Suu Kyi, who was barred from attending the hearing, has been detained for 14 of the past 20 years.

The 64-year-old Nobel Peace Laureate's sentence would ensure she cannot participate in Myanmar's first elections in two decades that will be held sometime this year. Her party swept the last elections in 1990, but the results were never honored by the military, which has ruled the country since 1962.

Nyan Win said the court is expected to issue its ruling in the next few days.

On Friday, Suu Kyi met with Cabinet minister Aung Kyi, part of her National League for Democracy party's efforts to prepare for the elections. Suu Kyi's party has not yet declared whether it will take part in the election.

Suu Kyi's last meeting with Aung Kyi was on Dec. 9, when he informed her that her request to be allowed to meet with the party elders was granted. She met them on Dec. 16

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100118/ap_on_re_as/as_myanmar_opposition_leader

• 4 weeks later...

In another step in the right direction, the Myanmar government officials released opposition leader, Tin Oo from house arrest. They have a long way to go, but at least these baby steps are encouraging.

I think the generals are trying to march into the international community, but doing it their way. The upcoming elections will be far from being fair, but will placate many. I think it best to engage Myanmar rather than isolate it.