Thaiway

Yet Another Phuket Tuk Tuk Driver Attacks Tourist

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

PATONG, PHUKET: A Canadian tourist was hospitalized after being punched repeatedly in an attack involving a tuk-tuk driver yesterday afternoon.

Ivan Bob Anwar, 51, told the Gazette that he was punched five times in the attack, which resulted in a large gash above his left eyebrow requiring five stitches. He also sustained a bloody nose and bruising to his face.

Treatment charges at Patong Hospital came to 2,000 baht.

The attack was the result of a dispute over a one-minute taxi ride.

Mr Anwar and his wife arrived in Phuket on January 4 for a three-day holiday.

But after spending one night in their hotel in the north end of Patong, they decided to move to a quieter location further north in Kalim.

Mr Anwar, a teacher living in Japan, said he and his wife flagged down a tuk-tuk outside their hotel at 1pm yesterday.

After a brief negotiation with the driver, Mr Anwar and his wife agreed to pay 150 baht for the short trip to their new hotel.

“But when we arrived at our new hotel [one minute later] I told the driver that he had charged us too much,†he said.

Mr Anwar offered the driver a discounted fare of 100 baht, feeling this was all the trip was worth and got out of the tuk-tuk.

At this point, Mr Anwar said the driver telephoned a second man who then arrived on the scene almost immediately.

“The driver then got out of the tuk-tuk and punched me four or five times in the face,†said Mr Anwar.

The second man was reported to have restrained Mr Anwar during the attack. Both men then fled the scene in the tuk-tuk, Mr Anwar said.

After witnessing the attack, workers from a nearby hotel took the bloodied Mr Anwar and his wife to Kathu Police Station in the hotel's mini-bus.

At about 3pm, tuk-tuk driver Tassanarit Damthong, 30, handed himself in at Kathu Police Station.

Mr Tassanarit was promptly arrested and charged with assault.

When the Gazette arrived at Kathu Police Station, Mr Tassanarit was in a holding cell, having been denied bail.

Mr Tassanarit’s boss, Natdanai Chaowana, was at the police station. He told the Gazette he didn’t understand why bail had been denied, claiming Mr Anwar was the one at fault.

“The Canadian guy was rude and swore and also kicked him [Mr Tassanarit] first,†said Mr Chaowana.

Mr Chaowana also said that the fee was agreed between the driver and Mr Anwar, and admitted that it was the standard rate in the area.

Mr Anwar and Kathu Police were due to appear at Phuket Provincial Court to file assault charges.

Police said they were still searching for the second man alleged to have been involved in the attack.

Mr Anwar and his wife were due to leave Phuket on January 7. He said he has no plans to return to Phuket.

“I like Thailand, but don’t think I will ever come back to Phuket after this. Maybe I'll try Krabi instead,†he said.

I am not sure I understand. The tourist agreed to the fair cost, then reneged and tried to bargain? Is this because it was such a short ride?

The way I read it is that he agreed on a fare of 150 baht, which is exceptionally cheap in Patong, but then he realised it was only a one minute ride and tried to negotiate a cheaper price. Quite honestly this guy was out of order, but no way did he deserve a beating.

He should have walked.

Welcome to Patong

Being rude and cursing is no way to treat anyone, especially a Thai. If a Thai loses face, you are in big trouble. I would have paid the 150 baht and chalked it up to experience. I agree though, he did not deserve a beating.

And now here comes the counter claim by the Tuk Tuk driver. Now he is filing charges against the tourist.

UPDATE: Phuket tuk-tuk assault case

PHUKET: A Patong tuk-tuk driver charged with assault for allegedly beating a Canadian tourist has been granted bail.

Tassanarit Damthong, 30, handed himself in at Kathu Police Station at 3pm on Tuesday.

He was arrested and charged with the assault of Canadian tourist Ivan Bob Anwar, 51.

Mr Anwar claimed he was punched five times after refusing to pay 150 baht for a one-minute tuk-tuk ride from the north end of Patong to Kalim on Tuesday afternoon.

For previous report click here.

Initially denied bail, Mr Tassanarit was released yesterday after his wife posted 40,000 baht in surety.

Both Mr Anwar and Mr Tassanarit arrived at Phuket Provincial Court at 1:30pm yesterday for preliminary hearings.

Mr Tassanarit told reporters that it was Mr Anwar who struck first.

After arriving at the destination in Kalim, opposite the Sunset Beach Resort, Mr Anwar became angry over the fare price and refused to pay, he said.

The Canadian then rudely pointed a finger in his face and kicked him in the chest, the tuk-tuk driver claimed.

Mr Tassanarit lifted his shirt for the Gazette to reveal bruising on his stomach, which he claimed to reporters was the result of Mr Anwar kicking him.

After being kicked by Mr Anwar, he retaliated and punched Mr Anwar once in the face, causing him to fall and hit his head on the tuk-tuk, he said.

Members of the Patong Tuk-Tuk "Club" who accompanied Mr Tassanarit to court yesterday said they planned to file counter charges against Mr Anwar.

Mr Anwar’s version of events was very different. He told the court yesterday that Mr Tassanarit punched him five times after he refused to pay the 150-baht fare.

Kathu Police duty officer Jongserm Preecha this morning told the Gazette Mr Anwar was at Kathu Police Station and will be charged with assault for kicking the tuk-tuk driver.

He will not be able to leave Thailand until either the case is cleared or he confesses to the assault charge and pays a fine.

Mr Anwar was due to leave Phuket at 10am today for his return trip to Tokyo, but he had to postpone the flight.

Source ---->http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8207

Interesting twist to the story, although it's most likely he fessed and paid his 1,000 baht fine just to get home.

Canadian confesses, pays fine at Phuket Court

PHUKET: Canadian tourist Ivan Bob Anwar, who was involved in a punch-up with a Patong tuk-tuk driver earlier in the week, has been ordered to pay a 1,000 baht fine after confessing to assault charges.

Mr Anwar, 51, paid the fine at Phuket Provincial Court earlier today after pleading guilty to charges of assault against tuk-tuk driver Tassanarit Damthong, 30.

The charges against Mr Anwar followed similar charges filed by the Canadian against Mr Tassanarit on Tuesday, the day the altercation took place.

Mr Tassanarit's preliminary hearing took place yesterday at Phuket Provincial Court, where he was granted bail.

He will have to appear in court at a later date to face his assault charges.

As for Mr Anwar, he paid his fine and got his passport back this afternoon.

His case was fast-tracked through the court so he could return home and not have to extend his trip.

At the time of writing, he was expected to fly out of Phuket this evening bound for Bangkok, intending to catch his connecting flight to Tokyo.

Mr Anwar has for years worked in Japan as an English teacher.

Source ----> http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8210

The Canadian agreed to the price then complained later. Not the way things work here.

The agreed upon fare was 150 baht. The Canadian tried to change it to 100 baht. So, he gets into all this trouble and hassle to save himself 50 baht. Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier if you ask me. He agreed to pay 150 baht and that's what he should have done. If he felt that he was being over charged, then he would know better next time, but raising a ruckus and trying to get out of an agreed upon fare was a truly stupid thing to do, as he is now finding out.

Also, if things start to unexpectedly heat up, swallowing your pride usually defuses the situation. I've had it happen to me. The most recent was about two weeks ago. I was driving and it was night. When I turned to pull into my driveway apparently I cut off a motorcycle. He didn't have his lights on and I did not see him. The driver stopped and began yelling and cursing. I could see this was not going to be good if I let it escalate. I simply told him I'm sorry. I didn't see you. It was my fault.

That was good enough for him. His fury changed instantly to a smile. He said "Mai pen rai" and drove off. All he was looking for was an apology, whether he deserved it or not. He got his apology and the incident was over. Most of the time that works and puts an end to the problem.

Thailand is not the only place where simple things can esculate into major problems. I came across this article from the US.

ST. CLOUD, Minn. – Police in St. Cloud said an argument over sidewalk etiquette led to a man being stabbed because he wouldn't move out of another man's way. The 31-year-old victim told police he and the other man were walking toward each other on a sidewalk early Friday morning. Each man refused to make way for the other.

The St. Cloud Times reported that the argument escalated into a physical fight. When it was over, the victim noticed he'd been stabbed several times in the stomach.

Authorities said the victim's injuries were minor. Information from: St. Cloud Times, http://www.sctimes.com

Best to look at the big picture and not let perceived little slights escalate into situations that get out of hand. :D

I learned to 'turn the other cheek' in Patong years ago. Especially after a Thai guy pointed a gun at me for tooting at him when he stopped to chat with some massage ladies, and blocked the main road. Maybe not uncommon in the US, but for a Brit it's very far from usual.

Welcome to Patong

It might be more common in the US than you think. I was driving on the highway in the suburbs of Chicago. I had a guy point a gun at me because he thought I cut him off. Talk about road rage! I slowed down and the guy sped off.

I was hoping the guy would be in a hurry and speed away. Not sure what I would have done if he slowed down, too. That gun looked real and with so many nuts out there, I am not sure what would have happened.

Phuket's tuk-tuk problem might be solved. Here is an article about metered tuk-tuks.

PHUKET: In a bid to end disputes between drivers and passengers over fares, the Phuket governor is considering introducing meters to Phuket tuk-tuks.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop said natural gas-powered tuk-tuks could also be rolled out in order to cut down on fuel costs.

Any metered fee structure would still have to reflect Phuket’s status as an international tourist destination, Gov Wichai said.

“The prices aren’t going to start at 35 baht,†he said. “It could be 120 or 250 baht, but I don’t know yet because we have to set up prices that both sides are happy with.â€

Gov Wichai was keen to stress the plans were ‘just an idea’ at this stage.

He also expressed some dismay that one local blogsite chose to report his idea after he expressly asked all the reporters present at a meeting yesterday not to do so.

“It’s my sincere desire to make this happen, but that doesn’t mean it will. Nothing has started yet,†he told the Gazette today.

Many tourism business operators and expat residents hold Gov Wichai in high regard for his introduction of the mandatory insurance scheme aimed at ending disputes between tourists and jet-ski operators, the first of its kind in the world.

No previous governor had ever taken serious action to put the jet-ski rental industry in order.

Problems continue, however, with a number of jet-skis operating without the insurance.

There have also been some reports of continued disputes over repair costs between operators of insured jet-skis and the tourists who rent them.

There is widespread agreement in Phuket that imposing order on the island’s tuk-tuk industry and developing reasonably-priced transport options for tourists will be a challenge of a much greater scale, given the relative size of the two industries.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=8268

“The prices aren’t going to start at 35 baht,†he said. “It could be 120 or 250 baht, but I don’t know yet because we have to set up prices that both sides are happy with.â€

So if the meter starts at 250 baht then the tourists won't see much difference in these outrageous fares. In Bangkok I can catch a meter taxi from my hotel in centre of town out to the airport (Don Muang) for less than 200 baht.

I shall be watching with interest, plenty of Phuket Govs have come and gone, all pledging reforms with Tuk Tuk rates. Nothing has even happened. I expect the same with this Gov.