Thaiway

Happy Birthday

Rate this topic

Wino

The Thai King calls for stability, prosperity and peace. I hope his desire comes true.

BANGKOK (AFP) – Thailand's revered king called on the politically divided nation to unite Saturday, during a brief public excursion from hospital to mark his 82nd birthday.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest reigning monarch, who is regarded as a demi-god by many Thais, made a rare address at Bangkok's royal palace where dignitaries were gathered for his annual birthday ceremony.

"My well-being can be achieved with our nation's stability, prosperity and peace," he said.

"To achieve these things everyone must determine to perform their duties to their best ability, conscious of their own wisdom and honesty, for the common good above all other interests."

The king thanked his well-wishers and urged those in positions of power to be mindful of their duty to the nation.

"I am deeply thankful to all of you who have offered birthday wishes to me, with such beautiful and sincere words to bring me joy.

"I ask all of you holding important positions in the key institutions of our country to consider thoroughly your duty and make a determination to do your duty to your best ability for success," he said.

The king has been a stabilising force during his six politically turbulent decades on the throne.

But Thailand has been rocked by years of rival political protests that have sometimes turned violent.

The king returned to a Bangkok hospital Saturday after leaving for about one hour, pushed in a wheelchair and wearing the full white royal uniform covered with a gold jacket.

King Bhumibol was admitted to Bangkok's Siriraj Hospital on September 19 with a lung infection and fever. He has appeared twice in public since then.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091205/en_afp/thailandroyalhealthking

I hope it is more than just a few more years. Time will tell what will happen next.

My friend went to the Isaan concert Saturday night and had great fun. The festivities are going on tonight, as well.