Thaiway

What To Do With Criminal Juveniles?

Rate this topic

Wino

Florida prisons, has more than 70 percent of juvenile defendants locked up for life for nonhomicide crimes. Now the Supreme Court is being asked to say that locking up juveniles and throwing away the key is cruel and unusual punishment.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091108/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_juvenile_sentences

What about the juveniles that commit homicide. What should society do with those kids? Here is a case where a 10 year old shot his father because he was angry. What does society do in this case?

The ten year old told the 911 operator, "I was so over my head. I shot him in the back of the head. I got so angry at him.†He cannot face adult sanctions because New Mexico law says a child must be 14 or older to be tried as an adult for murder. The boy remains in the custody of his mother.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_re_us/us_child_shooting

I don't think any kid needs to be sentenced to life without for a non-violent crime, or for being involved in a violent crime if the kid isn't the one who committed the specific act (for example, a kid who was a look-out in an armed robbery in which a person was hurt).

Studies have shown that our brains, including the centers that control decision-making, aren't fully formed until well into adolescence, so it's difficult to punish a kid for the rest of his life for a decision he made before he was even fully capable of making proper choices.

However, and I realize this isn't a popular position, I also believe there are some kids who are just bad from the get-go, and we would be foolish not to protect ourselves from them. Their crimes will just continue to get worse and worse until they are killing people.

Maybe we give those kids a couple of chances, then lock them up, at least until they've reached the end of their crime-producing years, which is typically in the mid-40s.

Consider this: Treat convicted serious juvenile offenders with the same mercy and kindness sealers treat baby seals

Bash this 10 year old over the head with a club and make a coat out of his skin?

Here is another case of juvenile crime, but in Bangkok. This case looks like it could be self-defense, but it is still a sad case of affairs when a school yard quarrel turns into a stabbing death.

A seventh grader was stabbed to death by a sixth grader during a quarrel in their Bangkok school Friday noon, police said.

The fight took place inside the Yannawes Witthayakhom School on Sathu Pradit 8 in Sathorn district.

Police quoted the sixth grader, who surrendered after the incident, as saying that he stabbed the senior students in self-defence because he was being assaulted by several seventh graders.

He said the seventh graders assaulted him after he refused to pay them protection fee.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/30116029/1-seventh-grader-stabbed-dead-another-severely-inj