Thaiway

Italian Sausage

Rate this topic

Thaimo

Lvdkeyes, you seem to have great recipes for just about everything. Do you have a recipe for making Italian sausage? I can never find anything in Thailand that really resembles the Italian sausage I had become accustomed to. I would imagine asking where to find sausage casings would be too much, but just being able to make the sausage would be great, even without casings.

If you are in Pattaya, you might try Friendship supermarket on South Pattaya road. Seems to me I see many German speakers buy sausage there, but I am not sure if it is Italian sausage. You might give them a try.

Lvdkeyes, you seem to have great recipes for just about everything. Do you have a recipe for making Italian sausage? I can never find anything in Thailand that really resembles the Italian sausage I had become accustomed to. I would imagine asking where to find sausage casings would be too much, but just being able to make the sausage would be great, even without casings.

Italian Sausage - Makes 5 lbs.

5 lbs. ground pork (80% lean to 20% fat)

2 tbsp. table salt

1 tbsp. fennel seed, cracked

1/2 tbsp. coriander

1 1/2 tbsp. paprika

3/4 tsp. red chili pepper, flakes

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

Combine the ground meat with all ingredients, mix/knead well. Taste test by cooking a small thin patty. Add more spices if needed at this time and remix. Taste test again if you feel it's necessary.

For bulk sausage simply form sausage patties or stuff into poly meat bags. Refrigerate up to a week or freeze until needed.

If you are using casings slide a 33MM to 36MM hog casing or a 32MM collagen sausage casing onto the sausage tube.

Do not refrigerate the Italian sausage mixture before you stuff it into the sausage casing as the meat will "set up" and put undo stress on your sausage stuffer. Stuff the seasoned meat into the sausage casing. The casing should be full but not full enough to burst when you begin to form links. The more you operate the sausage stuffer the easier it becomes to determine the proper fullness. With practice you will be stuffing sausage casings like a pro. The rule of thumb "practice makes perfect" applies here.

To form Italian sausage links press your forefinger and thumb together to make a slight indent in the casing about every six inches. Twist 3 or 4 turns, repeat the process for the next link, only twist 3 or 4 turns in the opposite direction. Refrigerate the Italian sausage links up to a week or freeze up to 6 months.

Bake, fry, grill or broil the Italian sausage links in usual manner until they are fully cooked.

If they are German speakers you can bet they are buying German sausage, not Italian.

That makes sense. I am no sausage connoisseur and thought if they had good German sausage, they might have Italian sausage. What is the difference in the two sausages? Just the spices or do they use different processing?