Thaiway

Blue Collar Work and Pay

Rate this topic

Wino

I sometimes here college graduates say that their expensive education was a waste of time and money because a common laborer makes more than a college graduate. That probably isn't true although plumber's seem to make a lot of money. Here is an interesting article.

"Blue-collar jobs are typically classified as involving manual labor and compensation by an hourly wage. Some fields that fall into this category include construction, manufacturing, maintenance and mining."

The Top 10 List

1. Elevator Installer and Repairer

Average salary: $87,518

Average hourly wage: $42.08

Average work week: 40 hours

2. Electrical and Electronics Repairer -- Powerhouse, Substation and Relay

Average salary: $68,084

Average hourly wage: $32.75

3. Power Plant Operator, Distributor and Dispatcher

Average salary: $65,846

Average hourly wage: $31.50

4. Gas Plant Operator

Average salary: $63,872

Average hourly wage: $30.71

5. Locomotive Engineer

Average salary: $63,125

Average hourly wage: $28.27

Average work week: 42.5 hours

6. Electrical Power Line Installer and Repairer

Average salary: $60,354

Average hourly wage: $29.02

7. Structural Iron and Steel Worker

Average salary: $59,224

Average hourly wage: $28.55

Average work week: 39.9 hours

8. Construction and Building Inspector

Average salary: $59,144

Average hourly wage: $28.31

Average work week: 40.2 hours

9. Ship and Boat Captain and Operator

Average salary: $57,910

Average hourly wage: $24.86

Average work week: 51.8 hours

10. Radio and Telecommunications Equipment Installer

Average salary: $57,149

Average hourly wage: $27.48

Average work week: 39.9 hours

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107958/highest-paying-blue-collar-jobs?mod=career-salary_negotiation

1. Elevator Installer and Repairer

Average salary: $87,518

Average hourly wage: $42.08

You know, these guys make more than I ever will...but I'm ok with that. I sure as hell wouldn't want to take an elevator designed and maintained by some buy making $10 an hour.

I knew a Thai guy who was a university graduate, completed military service, and was working as hotel receptionist six days a week for 6200 baht a month.

That is almost slave wages. Based on a 48 hour week, that is about 130 baht an hour. An unskilled laborer, I am told, will make about 150 baht a day. Now, that IS really slave wages.

I saw his pay stub, so I know he wasn't bullshitting me.

Seems like cheap wages for a college graduate, but I guess he figured, he need experience and had to start somewhere. He was probably thankful he had a job.

You might be surprised how little first officers on commuter aircraft earn.

Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot who landed his plane in the Hudson River after a bird strike, was on the Daily Show last week, and he talked about the abysmal pay for pilots. And it seems like I remember after that commuter crash in Buffalo -- this year, last year? -- there were some articles showing that the co-pilot was making low to mid-20s. You'd think someone in a skilled profession who is responsible for that many lives would make more than a cabbie.

Shall we start a campaign to start tipping the cabin crew as we leave the plane? Don't know if it is gospel truth, but I heard of a pilot retiree for United that was making six figures when he hung up his wings.

Tipping has gotten way out of hand. Even self service restaurants have tip jars on the counter. For what is the tip supposed to be?

Maybe it is to supplement a person’s wages because the employer is too cheap to pay a decent wage?

Of course it is, but it is not what a tip is supposed to be, IMHO. I think a tip is for good service provided. There is no service if I have to go to the counter, order my food, pay for it and wait for it to be ready and then carry it to a table. And then, be expected to dump the refuse in the trash afterward.

I think a tip is for good service provided.

Maybe that is why most Thais and French do not tip very much. I guess they ask why they would want to tip a service provider for doing their job.

I agree with that concept. In Japan tipping is not customary and service people get confused when a tip is offered.

I guess Japan is similar to Thailand. In Thailand, I had a waiter come running after me to return the money I left on the table. Why is it hard for some nationalities to abide by nations customs? When in Rome, do as the Romans.

but I heard of a pilot retiree for United that was making six figures when he hung up his wings.

That's for large jets with major airlines. Not for commuter plane pilots on smaller carriers. This was in the Baltimore Sun:

"My daughter is Captain on a regional jet...She is a graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University...It took my daughter five years to get promoted to Captain. This doubled her wages. After five years as a First Officer, she was making about $28K."

Tipping has gotten way out of hand. Even self service restaurants have tip jars on the counter. For what is the tip supposed to be?

I would laugh my ass off if I saw a tip jar in a McDonald's.

There's a little convenience store down the street from my house. Because it's right on the beach and gets a lot of tourist business, the prices are through the roof. I was too lazy to go to the grocery store yesterday, so I ran down there for a loaf of bread and a bag of pretzels. Cost me almost $7.

And there on the counter at the register is a tip jar. I pay, and promptly stick my change right back in my pocket, with the guy at the register eye-fucking me the whole time. But these guys don't pump gas, they don't help you shop. All they do is ring up your purchases and only put them in bag if you ask...so why the hell should they get tipped?