Thaiway

Guess Who is Posing in Playgirl Magazine?

Rate this topic

Wino

It's not a tactic used by "radical gay people." It is, in fact, a fairly mainstream sentiment, which is why the Ted Haggard/Mark Foley/Larry Craig scandals got so much coverage in the media and became fodder for late-night talk show hosts.

I guess ‘radical†and “mainstream†depends on the individual’s perspective. Like the word “terrorist†it depends on your point of view. Just think, George Washington and the founding fathers were classified as terrorists at one time.

I am not going to change your view on “outing†people. I feel it is an unscrupulous tactic used to further an agenda. The goal is more or less to catch conservative GOP politicians with their pants down. I understand that some people think this is a war for human rights, and all is fair in love and war, but I do not like this type of divisive political approach. That is the trouble with politics, the republicans and democrats are too busy fighting each other instead of doing what is best for the people and the nation.

You believe in what some call the “Barney Frank Rule,†where outing is acceptable when a person uses their power to hurt gay people. Sounds more like the Steve Gobie rule. In an interview, Gobie said he wants "to show up people in positions of power who abuse other people." Gobie expressed no regret for any damage done to the career of Frank. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/tours/scandal/gobie2.htm

The damage outing does to a person is the concern that I have. The person’s career and family life could be left in shambles and sometimes without any hint of truth to the allegation. This does not seem right to me.

With the recent defeat in Maine to the gay marriage issue, this tells me America is not ready for this type of marriage. Gay marriage has now lost in all 31 states in which it has been put to a popular vote. Instead of using the term gay marriage, why not push for civil partnership. I should think this term would be more acceptable to more people and essentially has the same outcome.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You believe in what some call the “Barney Frank Rule,†where outing is acceptable when a person uses their power to hurt gay people.

Yep, that about sums up how I feel. Except that I think this can be applied to any inherent (and undisclosed) conflict of interest.