Thaiway

GM To Shut Down Saturn

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

Japan is probably No 1 at the moment but Korea isn't far behind I would think. However we mustn't forget the new kids on the block. Tata Motors in India now own a big slice of what used to be the British car industry and China is just beginning to export cars. I have seen some of their 'budget' models and they are a long way from basic. You can buy a 4 door hatchback with power steering, Air-conditioning and electric windows for under $10,000Aud. I was impressed but haven't been brave enough to buy one yet until I know more about reliability though they do provide a 5 year warranty.

Japan is probably No 1 at the moment but Korea isn't far behind I would think. However we mustn't forget the new kids on the block. Tata Motors in India now own a big slice of what used to be the British car industry and China is just beginning to export cars. I have seen some of their 'budget' models and they are a long way from basic. You can buy a 4 door hatchback with power steering, Air-conditioning and electric windows for under $10,000Aud. I was impressed but haven't been brave enough to buy one yet until I know more about reliability though they do provide a 5 year warranty.

Whatever happened to that car that Tata Motors was touting a while back? As I recall, it was going to list for only a few thousand dollars and allow many Indians to be able to buy a car.

Whatever happened to that car that Tata Motors was touting a while back? As I recall, it was going to list for only a few thousand dollars and allow many Indians to be able to buy a car.

If you are talking about the Tata Nano, it looks like the first one was delivered in July:

"Tata Motors is pleased to announce that Mr. Ashok Raghunath Vichare of Mumbai has become the first customer in India of the Tata Nano. Mr. Vichare received his choice, the Tata Nano LX (Lunar Silver), at the hands of the Chairman of Tata Sons and Tata Motors, Mr. Ratan N. Tata, at the company’s dealership, Concorde Motors, today."

Apparently, there was a selection process for buyers of the first 100,000 cars. Those people have been chosen, and the company says it expects to get all the cars delivered by the last quarter of 2010.

From Tata's website: "All efforts will be made to deliver earlier, by ramping up production at the already operational Pantnagar plant and the fast upcoming Sanand plant. The successful allottees will also be sent discount vouchers of Titan and Westside valid at their outlets across India."

It's kind of a cool-looking little car, especially for under $2,500.

Posted Image

The Tata Nano, that is it. Thanks WannaGo. I thought that would be the perfect car for around town in Thailand. A step up from your motorbike and keeps you out of the rain. Tata had big plans for the car until the local people vetoed the proposed factory site. Production is nowhere near the demand.

Ivdkeyes, I don't think that Tata can keep up with demand in India yet so probably are not exporting any Nano's yet, though I do keep meaning to pop in to the Tata Motors showroom on Sukhimvit Road and ask them. Chon Buri does have a showroom selling the Chinese Cherry I talked about in my earlier post and that sells for 359,000 Baht probably the cheapest saloon in Thailand. Without seeing both models side-by-side it is hard to say but I imagine the Nano is smaller and more compact, so ideal for Thai roads.

Ivdkeyes, I don't think that Tata can keep up with demand in India yet so probably are not exporting any Nano's yet, though I do keep meaning to pop in to the Tata Motors showroom on Sukhimvit Road and ask them. Chon Buri does have a showroom selling the Chinese Cherry I talked about in my earlier post and that sells for 359,000 Baht probably the cheapest saloon in Thailand. Without seeing both models side-by-side it is hard to say but I imagine the Nano is smaller and more compact, so ideal for Thai roads.

If it is hard to buy a Nano in India, I imagine it is nearly impossible to buy one outside India. I haven't heard about the Chinese Cherry but the 359,000 baht is quite a bit more than the reported 82,500 baht the Nano will cost.

So, the Indians have a car company called Tata and the Chinese have a car called the Cherry...anybody else's inner 12-year-old just dying to break into fits of laughter?

Back in grown-up land, I'd love to have a tiny little car like that (even if I would have to shoehorn myself into it) because it must get outstanding gas mileage and parking would never be a problem. However, with so many of those damn giant SUVs on the roads here in the States, I'd have major reservations about safety issues. Even a minor collision with something like a Ford Explorer could be extremely serious in such a small car.

So, the Indians have a car company called Tata and the Chinese have a car called the Cherry...anybody else's inner 12-year-old just dying to break into fits of laughter?

Back in grown-up land, I'd love to have a tiny little car like that (even if I would have to shoehorn myself into it) because it must get outstanding gas mileage and parking would never be a problem. However, with so many of those damn giant SUVs on the roads here in the States, I'd have major reservations about safety issues. Even a minor collision with something like a Ford Explorer could be extremely serious in such a small car.

Safety issues back home would be a big concern. I thought it might be nice for short trips around town. In Thailand, it would be like having a motorbike but covered from the rain and a little more safety than a bike.

I agree that they would be good for around town, but not on highway trips.

That is for sure. Like a motorbike, I would only drive it around town. I am sure the car is not much more than a covered motorcycle.