Thaiway

507 Carat Diamond Found

Rate this topic

Wino

I wish I would have been lucky enought to find a gem like this one.

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) – Mining group Petra Diamonds has discovered a 507.55 carat white diamond at South Africa's Cullinan mine, one of the largest high-quality rough diamonds ever found, the firm said on Tuesday.

"This spectacular gemstone was recovered on Thursday 24 September and is currently with experts for analysis," said a statement released by the London-listed company which operates mainly in Africa.

Initial examinations of the diamond which weighs just over 100 grams (3.5 ounces), have shown it to be of exceptional colour and clarity.

The diamond is undergoing colour grading, but is believed to be a rare Type II diamond, with very low traces of nitrogen -- considered an impurity -- making them among the most transparent and colourless of the gems.

"The Cullinan mine has again given the world a spectacularly beautiful and important diamond... we now eagerly await the findings of the expert analysis," said Johan Dippenaar, Petra's chief executive.

The precious stone was found alongside three other special white gems of similar colour and clarity, a large diamond of 168.00 carats and two other stones of 58.50 and 53.30 carats.

The mine which was previously owned by diamond mining giant De Beers, is renowned for the discovery of the famed Cullinan Diamond in 1905, which is part of the British crown jewels and weighed 3106 carats.

In May 2008, the mine produced a sparkling 101.27 carat diamond, roughly the size of a ping-pong ball.

The Cullinan Diamond Mine is the third richest diamond producing mine in South Africa.

The fascination with gems is the price.

Really, it is just the price? It does not matter about the placement of the stone, the cut, and the clarity? I am not into jewelry but when you see the crown jewels and other priceless gems, it is impressive.

I abhor all jewelry.

In 2009, wrist watches are now simply jewelry since most people carry a mobile phone with the time.

You are certainly right. I haven't worn a watch since I started using a cell phone. I just wish those numbers were a little bigger on the phone.

I can get by without glasses too, except for reading. When I was working, I was forever putting glasses on and taking them off. I got fed up with it and got progressive bifocals. The eye doctor was able to help my long distance vision with them. It took awhile to get used to them, but now I am glad to have them. Much less hassle than only reading glasses.

I can get by without glasses too, except for reading. When I was working, I was forever putting glasses on and taking them off. I got fed up with it and got progressive bifocals. The eye doctor was able to help my long distance vision with them. It took awhile to get used to them, but now I am glad to have them. Much less hassle than only reading glasses.

I guess eventually progressive bifocals will be in my future. For now, I am resisting. Putting on and taking off the reading glasses is what I do. When I was working I would have a string on the glasses and hang them around my neck. It looked funny but I always knew where the glasses were and easy to put on.

The problem for me with the string was I always had a stethoscope around my neck too and I thought I would strangle myself a few times.

Good thing you were in a medical situation. There were probably plenty of people around to give you mouth-to-mouth respirations.

By the way, if any of you in the States ever get the urge to find some diamonds, there's this state park in Arkansas my family visited one summer when I was a kid. It's called Crater of Diamonds, and it has fields where you can dig for diamonds and keep what you find. I dug for two days and didn't turn up crap, but apparently people find diamonds all the time. Mostly industrial grade, from what I understand, but still cool. From the park's website, it looks like the last big one was a 5.75 ct from earlier this year.

I have done CPR many times, but I always tried to get an ambu bag, rather than doing mouth to mouth. When I did have to do M to M, I used lots of Listerine after wards. Yuck!!!!

These days, don't they have a little plastic looking device that is inserted in the victims mouth and allows the medic no direct contact?

By the way, if any of you in the States ever get the urge to find some diamonds, there's this state park in Arkansas my family visited one summer when I was a kid. It's called Crater of Diamonds, and it has fields where you can dig for diamonds and keep what you find. I dug for two days and didn't turn up crap, but apparently people find diamonds all the time. Mostly industrial grade, from what I understand, but still cool. From the park's website, it looks like the last big one was a 5.75 ct from earlier this year.

I have heard about this park and it sounds cool. I have panned for gold, but never dug for diamonds.