Thaiway

New visa rules

Rate this topic

Hi I hope someone can help us, as part of our round the world trip we are arriveing in Thailand in May 2010 and flying out of Thailand in Febuary 2011.We want to visit other countries in southeast aisa in that time.As we understand it the rules have changed if we cross by land into another country we may get a 15 day visa coming back into Thailand but we will be flying back in and I think then we will get a 30 day visa.How many times can we do that or if we get 60 days visa do we have to stay out of the country for 60 days before we can reenter the country.We are both over 50 so we may be able to go for a long stay visa. We would be grateful for any sugestions.

Top cat

Hi I hope someone can help us, as part of our round the world trip we are arriveing in Thailand in May 2010 and flying out of Thailand in Febuary 2011.We want to visit other countries in southeast aisa in that time.As we understand it the rules have changed if we cross by land into another country we may get a 15 day visa coming back into Thailand but we will be flying back in and I think then we will get a 30 day visa.How many times can we do that or if we get 60 days visa do we have to stay out of the country for 60 days before we can reenter the country.We are both over 50 so we may be able to go for a long stay visa. We would be grateful for any sugestions.

Top cat

well if you go down to penang in malasia ask them for 2 month visa all agency they can do and it about 1900 baht and if you come thailand by flight you get 30 day but if you just cross to another country by land it just 15 day the same thing if you go to immigration in bkk in phuket you gonna get for 2 week in it cost about 1900 baht too

• 1 month later...

Top cat

Hello, I reviewed all of your information. You are right about the new rule of Thai Immigration. In order to limit the amount of foreigners using "back-to-back" border runs, Thai Immigration has issued a new regulation regarding the 30 days tourist exemption. Effective immediately, travellers without visa will get only 15 days of stay if they are arriving via a land border checkpoint from a neighboring country. But in case you want to get for additional 30 days, you will need to leave and back to Thailand via the international airport of Thailand. Also, you can get this visa type many times you require until you have used it completely for 90 days in one year. For detailed information, you can ask us via www.siamese-visa.com .

Top cat

I recommend you apply for a one year non-immigrant multi entry visa before you leave your home country. then you can stay for up to 90 days per entry, and can come back into Thailand any time you want for another 90 days, and repeat until your visa expires.

Regarding arriving without a visa, you get a 30 day visa-on-arrival for free (assuming your nationality qualifies) which can only be extended for a maximum of 7 days costing 1,900 baht, then you MUST exit Thailand. You can come straight back into Thailand and get 30 days (by air) or 15 days (by land). Been some confusion about many times you can do that, rules keep on changing and you would need to check the latest rule nearer your time of arrival. Best of luck.

Top cat

"I recommend you apply for a one year non-immigrant multi entry visa before you leave your home country. then you can stay for up to 90 days per entry, and can come back into Thailand any time you want for another 90 days, and repeat until your visa expires.

Regarding arriving without a visa, you get a 30 day visa-on-arrival for free (assuming your nationality qualifies) which can only be extended for a maximum of 7 days costing 1,900 baht, then you MUST exit Thailand. You can come straight back into Thailand and get 30 days (by air) or 15 days (by land). Been some confusion about many times you can do that, rules keep on changing and you would need to check the latest rule nearer your time of arrival. Best of luck."

Top cat, I agree with Patong's suggestion. If you want to stay for a long term in Thailand, you can start this plan with a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Visa. Also, if you and your partner are 50 years of age, you may be able to apply for the Retirement visas to avoid in making a visa run.

You can come straight back into Thailand and get 30 days (by air) or 15 days (by land). Been some confusion about many times you can do that, rules keep on changing and you would need to check the latest rule nearer your time of arrival. Best of luck."

There is some confusion about how many times you are able to obtain a visa on arrival. As it stands today, could a US citizen fly in and out of Thailand for six consecutive months and obtain a 30 day visa each time? At one time, you could only have three arrival visas in a set period of time. It is hard to find out the facts.

• 4 weeks later...

No.

The 30/15 day stamp comes under TVE

That means you are Visa Exempt, there is no visa involved.

A US citizen would get a 15 day Permission to Stay at a land border and 30 days at the Airport.

Technically you are correct that no visa is issued on arrival, but in reality an entry stamp will be issued, so the answer to the original question is Yes, assuming flying in and out of Thailand each time.