Thaiway

Trip around the world starts in Thailand

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

I am quite envious of this guy and hope he has a fantastic journey!

SOMEWHERE OVER THE ARCTIC -- For the next six months or so, the world is my home.

After a whirlwind decision and four months of loose planning, I strapped on a 70L backpack filled to the top, packed up my laptop and got on a one-way plane to Bangkok, Thailand, to embark on the journey of a lifetime. I have few set plans and no expectations but to see and write about as much of the world as possible.

For at least half of 2010, I'll be traveling the world on what I've learned through various travel forums is called a RTW (short for 'round-the-world) journey. A gap year, if you will. While relatively uncommon in the United States, the gap year is akin to a rite of passage for 20-somethings in other parts of the world. In Australia, students are encouraged to travel or go on a working holiday before beginning university. And in Israel, after completing service in the Israel Defense Force, it is customary for the 21-year-old to travel.

It is only in the 9-to-5 culture of the United States that I have found adverse reactions of, "Have you seen the movie `Taken'? " or "When will you wake up and get another job?"

To answer simply: No, I have not seen "Taken" and, for now, exploring different countries and cultures is my job. I've rid myself of most possessions -- packed them up or gave them away -- and brought only the necessities with me: a week's worth of clothes, some toiletries, a debit card and my passport. Preparation included three odd jobs, a table-sized map to plan a tentative route and many appointments to the local travel health clinic for vaccinations and information.

Andrea Ramsay, a college friend from the University of Delaware's student newspaper, is along for the ride. We hope to hit about 20 countries, depending on our tight budgets and ease of travel.

Sitting on the plane, I feel numb to what's to come. It's like the immensity of this trip and all of the places I'll see and people I'll meet haven't hit me yet. I'm excited and scared, but mostly unsure of what to think.

The trip comes at an interesting time in my life and in world politics. It's the start of a new decade, filled with problems left over from 2000s -- such as the flailing economy and the war in Iraq -- and hope for resolution in the coming years. It also comes at an interesting time for the travel industry.

Because of the economy, the travel industry -- both domestically and internationally -- has seen a dramatic decrease in profits over the last five years. According to a recent USA Today/Gallup poll, the majority of Americans plan to spend less this year on air travel and hotel stays.

And now, in response to the attempted terror attack on a Northwest Airlines' Christmas Day flight to Detroit, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration now finds itself re-evaluating security measures in place since the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, as more information on the attack by Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab comes to light.

In addition to the usual screening process and prohibited items on board, the TSA now reserves the right to question potential passenger before they board a flight. In addition, the U.S. government has released a list of about 13 countries of interest, in which international travelers bound for the United States will see enhanced screenings.

As for me, however, it's a great time to travel. This trip comes at a time when I'm ready to explore not just the world, but myself. I'm still a recent college graduate in my early 20s and already I've accomplished more than half of my peers. I'm not sure what I want to do next, but I'm excited for whatever it is. This trip could lead me to another job in journalism, back to graduate school or an entirely different field of work that I never dreamed of doing.

But for now, it's leading me to the beginning of a new adventure and where many backpackers begin their journey: Thailand.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/Trip-around-the-world-starts-in-Thailand-330599.php

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: A gap year, if you will. While relatively uncommon in the United States, the gap year is akin to a rite of passage for 20-somethings in other parts of the world. In Australia, students are encouraged to travel or go on a working holiday before beginning university. And in Israel, after completing service in the Israel Defense Force, it is customary for the 21-year-old to travel.

It is a shame the gap year travel custom is not common in the US. A young person can really learn much while traveling. Makes for a well rounded person, in my opinion.