Thaiway

A Miracle

Rate this topic

Wino

It is a miracle this woman is still alive. With a blood alcohol level of .708, she is lucky to be walking around.

RAPID CITY, S.D. – South Dakota authorities say a woman found passed out in a stolen delivery van earlier this month registered a blood alcohol content of .708 — nearly nine times the legal limit and a possible record for the state.

Meade County State's Attorney Jesse Sondreal said Wednesday that 45-year-old Marguerite Engle was found slumped over the van's steering wheel along a highway on Dec. 1.

He says the highest blood alcohol content state chemists he spoke with could recall was a .56. The state's legal limit is .08.

Authorities say Engle missed an initial court hearing Dec. 15, but that they found her Monday in another stolen vehicle, and that she had been drinking.

She was being held on two counts of driving under the influence. It wasn't immediately clear if she was facing other charges.

Her attorney declined comment.

http://news.yahoo.co...rd_intoxication

While the story certainly says she tested .708, I really find that hard to believe. For the average person (i.e., somebody who's not a hardened alcholic), .33 can mean coma and .36 can actually mean death. In my home state (Michigan), the highest I have ever heard of was .48 and .49 (and even then we questioned the readings a bit).

Sometimes the tests - both the portable and stationary breathalyzers - aren't that accurate due to a lot of factors (one needs to remember that a breathalyzer is a machine attempting to gather alcohol from lung breath and then to extrapolate that quantity to what it thinks is the actual percentage of alcohol in your blood). Sometimes the machines are just calibrated wrong and sometimes the operators don't know how to properly administer the tests. And there are even occasions when the testee has just swallowed some alcohol or, more likely, just regurgitated (or burped) a small enough quantity of alcohol to give a false (high) reading. If, for example, you take a swig of alcohol and then promptly blow on the breathalyzer, you'll show up as "dead."

And, then again, I've known of a few false hospital blood tests taken (one test says .30 and the other, taken 10 minutes later, says .22 - which confirms that one or both of the tests is bogus as the body can't dissipate that much alcohol in 10 minutes).

• 2 weeks later...

My mother had a condition where every so often her heart would start beating so rapidly they couldn't get a beat count (several hundred beats per minute). On one occasion, while my mother was sitting in a chair in the hospital hallway and, a bit tired but certainly alert and responsive, a young nurse (intern, probably) performed a blood pressure check on her. When her blood pressure essentially measured "zero" (there has to be a pressure differential to measure something), the young nurse started running down the hallway towards the nurse's station yelling "that lady is dead" (a somewhat strange diagnosis given the nurse was talking to my mother when she concluded my mother was indeed dead!). Although my mother did get a bit red in the face over all the attention, she, like everyone else in the vicinity, managed to laugh a bit over the young nurse's slight overreaction.