Thaiway

King Taskin

Rate this topic

Wino

I was not aware of the devotion Thais have for this king.

BIG KING TAKSIN CEREMONY AT PATTAYA CITY HALL

King “Taksin the Great†was exactly that, having performed the feat of re-capturing much of Thailand that had fallen into the hands of the Burmese and Cambodians in former centuries. Promoted as “The Greatest King Taksin Ceremony†this ceremony went from 7.00 am until around midday and the Buddhist ceremony was followed by an even longer Hindu religious event.

Pattaya, - Monday 28th December 2009 [PDN]: - This prestigious event saw Pattaya’s Mayor, Itthiphol Khunplome and Banglamung Police Chief, Colonel Somnuk Changate both led their officers at the early morning Buddhist Monk’s prayers. At this ceremony all of the many officials looked spectacular in their official white uniforms, and these ceremonies are held with great reverence.

Then came something very unusual in the form of a long Hindu religious service that lasted around two hours, and you may well ask where does Hinduism fit into this picture? The answer is that in ancient times Thailand was dominated by the Hindu religion, but the more powerful Buddhist religion so Hindus had to accept this and work together in partnership with their Buddhist counterparts.

In the final stages of this large ceremony various government departments stood behind their leaders as they placed royal orbs and other relevant religious objects in front of King Taksin’s statue, which has a commanding position in front of Pattaya City Hall.

Taksin’s rule (1734 - 1782) was the only made by a Thai King from the city of Thonburi. He is greatly revered and respected by the Thai people for liberating Thailand (Siam) from Burmese occupation after the second fall of Ayutthaya in 1767. He established Thonburi as the countries new capital after Ayutthaya was almost completely destroyed by the Burmese siege. His reign was typified by war and oppression, subjugating the Northern Thai Kingdom of Lanna, the Laotian principalities and an every threatening Cambodia. He was succeeded by the Rattanakosin Kingdom and the current Chakri Dynasty. The Thai people have now officially recognized him as a Maharaj Taksin (Taksin The Great).

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000011583

Quote, "I have met many people over the years who did not fit their names for one reason or another. "

That is for sure. I am not really a wino, although I do enjoy a glass now and then.