Thaiway

Thailand To Boost Medical Tourism In 2010

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

This is of no surprise to me as I have been to several hospitals in Thailand while on my visa there and the place was packed with foreigners who flew in ONLY for medical purposes. I find more to Thailand than that but apparently it is an amazing bargain.

HANOI, Dec 28 (Bernama) -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will boost medical tourism in earnest in 2010, Vietnam news agency (VNA) reported Monday, citing the National news Bureau (NNT) as saying.

NNT quoted Deputy Governor of the TAT's Public Relations Division Surapol Sawetserani that Thailand has high potentials and marketing opportunities for the business, as most foreign visitors using the service are those with high purchasing power.

The TAT is in the process of gathering information relating to health service providers, accommodations, rehabilitation facilities and tourism programs for companions, to be displayed on its website.

Road shows will be later scheduled to target countries, as part of the marketing strategy, the Vietnam news agency said.

President of the Thai Hotels Association, Prakit Chinamourphong said the medical tourism industry in Thailand has high prospects for expansion. Statistics showed that over 1.2 million tourists were seeking health care service in Thailand each year.

The number is believed to reach 10 million within the next five years.

NNT said the Ministry of Tourism and Sports has called a meeting of private entrepreneurs and related units on 28 December 2009, in order to discuss the business potentials and their cooperation for best absolute outcome.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsworld.php?id=464749

I just heard a story from a friend. Apparently my friend has a friend that was able to travel to Thailand from the US, have all her dental work completed. Travel costs and dental costs combined were still cheaper than what the expense would be in the US. Not a bad deal.