Thaiway

JUMBO QUEEN BEAUTY PAGEANT HELD IN THAILAND

Rate this topic

Wino

I use to work with a guy that was probably 110 pounds soaking wet. He had a thing for hefty ladies. He would love to be a judge in the beauty contest.

A beauty pageant with a difference has been held in the ancient former Thai capital of Ayutthaya. The contest gave women over the weight of 175 pounds the chance to strut their stuff to raise awareness for the suffering elephant population of Thailand.

Ayutthaya, the 20th of December 2009 [PDN]: The beauty pageant for plus sized women involved 24 Thai women weighing in at over 175 pounds each. The event was staged at the Samphran Elephant Ground in Ayutthaya in order to raise awareness for the declining and mistreated elephant population of Thailand.

The women strutted their stuff for the judges for the chance to be crowned Miss Jumbo Queen 2009. The winner of the contest was 242 pound Miss Tarnrarin Chansawang, who took home, a jumbo trophy and 50,000 baht in prize money. The heaviest competitor to enter the competition, Miss Thanchanok Mekkeaw, also took home a prize for weighing in at 400 pounds.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000011511

The contest gave women over the weight of 175 pounds the chance to strut their stuff to raise awareness for the suffering elephant population of Thailand.

I went and saw an elephant show last week near Chiangmai with some friends and I do believe that a couple of the beasts there looked a bit more fit and trim than a couple of these contestants. I can understand honoring larger-than-normal beauty queens - presuming that's what they want - but some of these gals are simply grossly obese and it's a bit sad they're making sport of people with (or will soon have) substantial medical problems. I'd feel the same about doing it for extraordinarily skinny people too.

We humans or some of us do seem to like freak shows but there seems to me to be something kinda weird about that.

Not sure the promoters were making sport of obese people? The article said, “The event was staged at the Samphran Elephant Ground in Ayutthaya in order to raise awareness for the declining and mistreated elephant population of Thailand.â€

Obesity, at least in America, is no longer a freak show but a common occurrence. According to this article, “The National Center for Health Statistics claim 34 percent of Americans are obese, compared to 32.7 percent who are overweight. It said just under 6 percent are "extremely" obese.â€

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/lifestyle/news/article_1452723.php/The_grossly_obese_are_tipping_the_scales_in_America