Thaiway

Aliens

Rate this topic

Wino

Might be a good idea not to believe in aliens. Alien belief led this guy to loose his job.

MESA, Ariz. – A former Arizona school district employee is accused of using school computers in an experiment to find space aliens, costing the worker his job and the district more than $1 million.

Schools officials say Brad Niesluchowski, who was Higley Unified School District's information technology director, downloaded free software on district computers in 2000.

The program, known as SETI(at)home, uses Internet-connected computers worldwide to analyze radio telescope data in an experiment to find extraterrestrial intelligence.

But Superintendent Denise Birdwell told the East Valley Tribune that the program also bogged down the district's system and interfered with technology use in classrooms.

Birdwell said it will take more than $1 million to fix the problem, including removal of the SETI software. She says police are conducting a broader investigation.

Niesluchowski resigned from the district Oct. 22.

His lawyer did not return calls for comment.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQEEZ1hg7uNolSi46p83k1GIVXJQD9CBAQ901

This is very strange. Several years ago I downloaded SETI out of curiosity. It didn't interest me (and I never found any aliens. I was so disappointed.) and a simple uninstall got rid of the software. The article does not say how many computers SETI was installed on, but I can't imagine why it should cost anything, let alone over a million dollars, to remove the software.

I don’t understand why it cost the school districts millions of dollars, either. Of course, the reason for the teacher’s loss of job was the unauthorized use of school computers, but that would not have happened if he did not have a zeal for finding aliens.

Another alien/ufo article. Looks like hard times has hit the UFO agencies.

“British military ends its UFO hot line as a cost-cutting measure and will no longer investigate any UFO sightings, The hot line has been operating, on and off, since 1959.

The spokesman said closing the UFO inquiry unit would save about 44,000 pounds ($73,000) a year.â€

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091205/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_ufo_hotline;_ylt=Am2Ma39iaMuskMLth867hv3tiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJubnBhbWw5BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMjA1L2V1X2JyaXRhaW5fdWZvX2hvdGxpbmUEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMzBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2Z1bGxuYnNwc3Rvcg--

• 2 weeks later...