Thaiway

Catholic Church And Child Abuse

Rate this topic

Wino

Seems like the same old story around the world. Catholic bishops protecting their sick priests. I thought things were changing.

By SHAWN POGATCHNIK, Associated Press Writer DUBLIN – Roman Catholic Church leaders in Dublin spent decades sheltering child-abusing priests from the law and most fellow clerics turned a blind eye, an investigation ordered by Ireland's government concluded Thursday.Dublin Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, who handed over more than 60,000 previously secret church files to the three-year investigation, said he felt deep shame and sorrow for how previous archbishops presided over endemic child abuse — yet claimed afterward not to understand the gravity of their sins.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091126/ap_on_re_eu/eu_ireland_catholic_abuse

I'll be the first in line to condemn what many priests (although, to be fair, it was far less than 5% of them) did and what the church did in reaction to it; however, as anti-catholic church as I may be, it'd be totally unfair of me to suggest that the church hasn't changed how it's dealing with the issue.

Based on what I have read, they just transfer the offending priests to other parishes.

Historically, that's exactly what they did do and helped cover up the crimes already committed and set the creep priest out with new bait. But, to be fair, that's prior history (new policies in the last many years are actually fairly good ones - presuming all the bishops follow those rules).

Dern, Beer Chang and lvdkeyes are both using the same line I've used for years. I was in a catholic preparatory-seminary high school for four years and nobody ever hit on me either. Guess I should change my name to Rodney Dangerfield (who's the guy, I think, that came up with the line: I was so ugly they had to tie a porkchop to my face to get the dog to play with me!)?

Another big payoff by the church for child abuse.

"A major Irish order of Roman Catholic nuns, the Sisters of Mercy, today offered to pay child abuse victims, the government and charities a further €128m (£117m) to compensate for decades of abuse in its schools and orphanages."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/03/sisters-of-mercy-compensate-child-abuse-victims

The Catholic Church is changing the way they deal with pedos and child abuse. For the first time, the Pope has addressed this issue.

By Philip Pullella Philip Pullella VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – Pope Benedict expressed "outrage, betrayal and shame" on Friday at the sexual abuse of children by priests in Ireland, which Church leaders said would lead to a shake-up of the Irish Roman Catholic Church.

Church sources expected some bishops to resign in the wake of a government report that said Church leaders in overwhelmingly Catholic Ireland had covered up widespread abuse of children by priests for 30 years.

"I think that we are looking at a very significant reorganization of the Church in Ireland," Dublin Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said after he and other Irish Church leaders held an emergency meeting with the Pope.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091211/wl_nm/us_pope_abuse_irish