Thaiway

Medical Marijuana For Kids

Rate this topic

Wino

Good idea or bad? I think if the medical community has proof that it helps some kids, then I am all for it.

The battle over medical marijuana has shifted to a new front with reports that California clinics have been prescribing pot to patients as young as 14 to treat ADHD symptoms, while parents are feeding kids as young as 9 pot-infused cookies as a last resort to help them cope with autism. Proponents of cannabis for kids say it can also help treat cancer and AIDS symptoms. Opponents? “How many ways can one say ‘one of the worst ideas of all time?’†asks UC Berkeley psychologist Stephen Hinshaw. Is there ever a valid reason to prescribe pot for kids?

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/103325/Prescribing_marijuana_to_kids

People are always looking for the magic pill that will make them feel better again. Sorry, but it is not that easy. Although, I do not see anything wrong with medical marijuana if the doctors find it helps.

With children every other alternative should be tried before drugging the kids. It sends a bad message to kids that a drug (legal or otherwise) is the answer to all their problems.

Isn't that the way most medical doctor's operate?

With children every other alternative should be tried before drugging the kids. It sends a bad message to kids that a drug (legal or otherwise) is the answer to all their problems.

I understand the concern - that we're over-medicating everybody. But......it would seem that caring parents would consult an expert or two and follow their advice (and it may very well be child neglect if the advice weren't followed). Just saying "no" before hearing what the doctors say seems almost like a Nancy Reagan reaction.