Thaiway

Cleaning Women in Men's Public Restroom

Rate this topic

Wino

Nope, but I don't have a lot of experience in too many other countries.

Here (Thailand), it's nothing to them. You can be standing up at the urinal and they just walk in, mop around your feet, whatever. Doesn't even bother me any more.

What's more interesting are the bathroom attendants at a few places who'll come up behind you and start massaging your neck or back. I've only had it happen a couple of times here, the last time at a fancy disco in Bangkok. The first time it happened it kinda freaked me out - especially the guy who had his left hand on my right shoulder, his right hand on the urinal flusher, and he was leaning over eying my business so he'd know when I was finished so he could flush the urinal. That was interesting....(a bit of an understatement).

If you are in Thailand for any length of time, one does become use to the cleaning ladies in the restrooms. For the first time visitor, it is a little bit of a shock. I remember being in a busy bus station on one of my early visits. Many guys were coming and going, standing at the urinals with it all hanging out. Here comes a middle-aged lady attendant just mopping her heart out. Nobody gave her a second look.

I do not recall lady attendants in the restroom when I was in Germany on visits in the late 70's and 80's. Maybe things have changed.

Female restroom attendants are still difficult for me to get used to. If one is already in there,doing her cleaning when I have to go, I go into a stall and shut the door. If I am already at a urinal when one walks in, I finish what I started, but I'm still very uncomfortable with it. While it is true that the cleaning women aren't paying any attention, it still makes me uncomfortable. It always seems as if they must be waiting just for me. Almost every time I've gotta go, that's when a female restroom attendant comes in. Only a couple weeks ago I was traveling. I was in the middle of nowhere and needed to stop for gasoline. As long as I was there, I used the restroom. Even there, would you believe a female attendant started cleaning? The last time that restroom appeared to have been cleaned was at least a year ago, but as soon as I enter, there she is. Arrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

When I was in Frankfurt airport was in 1962. I was stunned to find a female attendant there.

The thing that I found odd in Germany were the many groups of men drinking beer in the train station bar at seven o'clock in the morning.