Thaiway

Retailers Charging For Plastic Bags

Rate this topic

Wino

If this helps the environment, I am all for it. Maybe people will bring their own canvas bags when they go shopping.

PHUKET CITY: Some said it could never happen, but starting on December 4 most of the island’s major retailers will begin charging customers for plastic bags.

Already on board with the project are Central, Big C, Tesco-Lotus, Makro, Supercheap and Jungceylon.

Do you think this initiative will cut down significantly on the approximately 500 tonnes of garbage sent to the island’s incinerator every day?

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=8004

You could always take your own shopping bag or plastic bags you've saved if you do not wish to pay for plastic bags.

I usually always take my canvas shopping bag to the Tuesday, Friday market at Soi Bakou. Nevertheless, the vendors seem to always put the goods in a plastic bag. I think it would be a good idea to start charging for plastic bags throughout Thailand.

I wonder how much they're going to charge for the bags. I always bring home plastic grocery bags and use them for other things, like cleaning out my cats' litter box.

Reusing the bags are a great idea. When at home, I usually save them up and return them to a recycling bin at the grocery store.

The last city I lived in had recycling bins outside of every home, but where I live now, they don't believe in recycling and consider global warming to be a liberal conspiracy to cheat God-fearin' Americans out of....I dunno, something.

Maybe it is a liberal conspiracy or maybe a poor city or population that cannot afford recycling? Some cities don't have recycling but at least you can recycle these plastic bags at many retailers. The grocery stores have a bin by the entrance and even Wal-mart has a plastic bag recycling area.