Thaiway

Surprisee. Surprise. Cambodia rejects Thailand's request to give them Thaksin

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

It does not come as a shock to me that the request for extradition for Thaksin has been denied. Now, I have to wonder what will happen when he speaks and when he leaves the country.

From VOA:

Cambodia has rejected a request for the extradition of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is now visiting the Southeast Asian nation.

On Wednesday, Thai diplomats presented Cambodian officials with a request to detain and extradite Mr. Thaksin. He arrived in Cambodia on Tuesday, where he has been appointed economic adviser to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Cambodia responded with a diplomatic note rejecting the request.

Mr. Thaksin fled Thailand more than a year ago to avoid a two-year jail sentence for corruption.

The Cambodian government has said it considers Mr. Thaksin's conviction to be politically motivated.

In response to Cambodia's decision, the Thai government has threatened tear up its extradition treaty with Cambodia and to review other joint agreements if Mr. Thaksin is not sent back.

Relations between the two neighbors have been strained for more than a year because of a territorial dispute.

There are concerns that soured relations between the two neighbors could spill over to a Association of Southeast Asian Nations meeting that is being held in Singapore on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.

On Thursday, Thaksin is scheduled to deliver a speech to 300 Cambodian economic experts. Cambodian officials have said he will stay in the country for two or three days but is not intending to live there.

Following Mr. Thaksin's appointment to the Cambodian government, both Thailand and Cambodia recalled their ambassadors.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-11-11-voa10.cfm

I just hope this does not lead to more border tensions and possible troop involvement. That would really put more of a dent in Thailand's tourist business.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of posturing and gas-baggery, maybe some tit for tat economic measures, and not much else.