Thaiway

Cambodia makes Thaksin adviser

Rate this topic

WannaGo

I bet there are some pissed-off people in Thailand today.

PHNOM PENH — Cambodia said Wednesday it had appointed fugitive former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra economic adviser to premier Hun Sen in a move that adds to tensions between the countries.

The appointment was announced on state television almost two weeks after Hun Sen first riled Thailand by offering safe haven to Thaksin, who was ousted in a coup in 2006 and is living abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption.

"Thaksin has already been appointed by royal decree... as personal adviser to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and the adviser to the Cambodian government in charge of economy," said a government statement read on television.

"Allowing Thaksin to stay in Cambodia is virtuous behaviour...good friends need to help each other in difficult circumstances," it added.

Whilst agreeing it isn't good for Thailand it just goes to show what goes around comes around. If the so called 'elite' of Thailand hadn't orchestrated the Coup and driven Thaksin out of Thailand maybe we wouldn't be in the economic mess we are in now. We now have to worry that Cambodia will develop their economy to one that rivals our own. Because whatever his faults there is no doubt he is an outstanding economist. Whilst I don't condone his corrupt activities he is no worse than any other Thai politician and even if he did look after himself there is no doubt he also ensured Thailand was better off under his leadership.

This Reuters piece says Thaksin is positioning himself for a return to leadership in Thailand.

ANALYSIS - Thaksin launches new offensive to win back power

BANGKOK (Reuters) - His opponents may dismiss him as a fugitive criminal and a spent political force, but ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is redoubling his efforts to return to power in Thailand, and the government is stumbling.

His red-shirted supporters have been pushing for a royal pardon of his corruption conviction, which would allow the exiled billionaire to come home. Now Thaksin has raised the stakes with a series of moves likely to add fuel to an intractable crisis in Southeast Asia's second-biggest economy.

His acceptance of an offer to become an adviser to the government of neighbouring Cambodia has caused an ugly diplomatic row, with the prospect of his running a political campaign from across the border angering the powerful opponents who have fought hard to keep him at bay.

"The government is being seen as incompetent and we're slowly moving towards becoming a failed state," political scientist Pitch Pongsawat said. "Thaksin wants to steal the show ... and we're headed for a whole different battle."

More

I am not so sure the educated Thais would agree with your assessment.

I am not sure that this myth that he only appeals to the poor and those in rural areas is correct. Many of my friends are University lecturers (many of whom were educated overseas) and opinion about him is fairly evenly divided. I accept that most of his support comes from the North East but though his party didn't win seats in the Bangkok area he nevertheless got many votes. I would be interested to know the percentages of the 'educated elite' yellow shirt supporters who have only been educated within the Thai Education system and those who are overseas educated.

I wonder why the educated are considered the "elite".

I'm sure it's not true in all cases but, generally, only the rich receive higher education. And it's the entrenched people who are rich and powerful that are considered the elite (and would most oppose any societal change where they didn't keep their largest slice of the pie).

I think the key word here is “generally.†Typically the powers that be in Thailand send their children to the best schools. Look at the prime minister’s educational background. Thailand is changing somewhat and the emerging middle class are able to better educate their offspring. To answer your question, just because a person is able to obtain a higher education, due to scholarship or any other way, does not put them in the elite category. Who knows, maybe in a generation or two, things may be different.

The PM was born and educated in England. He is hardly a typical Thai.

That's right. Nobody said he was a typical Thai. He would be in the Thai elite category.

I understand the Thai government has asked Interpol and the international community to be on the lookout for Thaksin. Seems they want to have him arrested and extradited back to Thailand. Paper have even been filed with Cambodia, according to the article I saw in the Nation. It is my opinion, there is a good chance that Cambodia will probably not follow through on that request.

As Bob wrote, “generally… it's the entrenched people who are rich and powerful that are considered the elite (and would most oppose any societal change where they didn't keep their largest slice of the pie).â€

Here is a link from wikipedia on elitism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting piece predicting that Thaksin's move in Cambodia could cost him support even among his own allies.

BANGKOK -- Since Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra was forced out of power in a military coup three years ago, he has made a show of traveling the world to keep in the public eye back home. But his latest gambit -- taking up a role as economic adviser to Thailand's neighbor and rival, Cambodia -- threatens to backfire and jeopardize his standing in the country he still hopes one day to lead, analysts say.

More