Thaiway

The 10 Best Retirement Havens According to Forbes Magazine

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

We found spots offering good health care, culture and affordability.

Forbes cannot promise retirees "paradise on $30 a day." Quite the opposite. We promise seniors wishing to move out of the U.S. that they will not find paradise anywhere. Each country is unique--with assets and liabilities--and the key to successful retirement as an ex-pat is carefully matching your own personal priorities and finances to the country that has caught your eye.

To help matters along, Forbes has compiled its own list of the 10 best retirement havens, based on a wide variety of criteria ranging from safety to retiree-friendly visa requirements to decent medical care. The countries on our hit list: Austria, Thailand, Italy, Panama, Ireland, Australia, France, Malaysia, Spain and Canada.

No place is perfect. Some countries rank high in one area but lower in others. Australia is by one well-regarded rating, the Country Brand Index, the most livable place in the world. (For the Country Brand and other rankings, see "Retire At Home Or Abroad?")But if you plan to return to the U.S. frequently, Australia makes for a long slog. Canada is No. 2 in the Country Brand ratings and certainly convenient for Americans, but its harsh winters are well-known. Italy scores high on quality of life, medical care, and even cost of living and climate for retirees residing in the Southern parts of the country. But its complicated taxes and bureaucracy require patience.

So, the key to any decision: Know yourself and do your homework.

For the full article:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/15/ten-best-retirement-havens-personal-finance-retire-abroad.html

What I left out is that my tight budget is self imposed. I have a lump sum of money and need to make it last.

So I do have substantial backup in case of an emergency.

I really would not be any happier if I was spending 90K a month instead of 45K.

Why throw money away. If you are happy, that is what counts.

What I left out is that my tight budget is self imposed. I have a lump sum of money and need to make it last.

So I do have substantial backup in case of an emergency.

I really would not be any happier if I was spending 90K a month instead of 45K.

Then, you are living the good life!

I have a friend who does live on 30,000 baht a month. He lives in a furnished apartment, small but nice, and his rent is 5000 baht a month. He eats almost exclusively Thai food and probably doesn't spend more than 100 to 200 baht a day for it if he even spends that much. He goes out to the bars infrequently. He's been living here for nearly two years and seems perfectly happy.

There are also people who have little or no interest in nightlife in the bars. Some people live way out in the boondocks and are quite satisfied with their quiet life, and life in those areas is certainly much less expensive than big city life. I have one friend who lives out there, but he spends a few days each month in Pattaya.

What it amounts to is whether you have the money to finance the lifestyle you're looking for.

I know i'm lucky that my home is paid for and I am happy to eat mainly Thai food, and rarely go out for a drink, but I manage on only 20,000 per month. Maybe it wouldn't be possible if I lived in Pattaya or Bangkok but the Van only costs me 100 baht when i do want to visit either of them.