Thaiway

Thailand still on upward spiral with Medical Tourism

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

Medical tourism is a high-growth industry being driven by globalization and rising healthcare costs in developed countries. More than thirty countries in Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe are serving millions of medical tourists annually.

Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, India and Philippines are the major destinations in the Asian medical tourism market. Thailand is more popular among Western European medical tourists for cosmetic surgery. Singapore and India specialize in complex procedures with India having a cost advantage and Singapore a technology advantage.

Global economic downturn has resulted in decline in visitor numbers in Singapore and the same holds true for medical tourists also. The decline is most among Indonesian patients, but is being compensated by patients from other places such as Vietnam and the Middle East. The private healthcare market in Singapore could witness a period of slower growth due to declining medical tourists.

The healthcare industry in Thailand has seen rapid growth in recent years, ahead of the country's GDP. In Thailand, medical costs are lower than in Singapore and also, it is a much more popular tourist destination. The cost of healthcare in Thailand is about five times lesser than it is in the US.

The Malaysian government is aggressively promoting medical tourism. It has extended the visa period for health tourists from one month to six months. Major hospitals in Malaysia are targeting new markets such as Vietnam and Cambodia.

India is one of the lowest cost and highest quality of all medical tourism destinations. It offers low-cost cardiovascular and orthopaedic procedures, at about one-tenth the cost of similar surgeries in the US.

Taiwan provides high-quality healthcare at very competitive prices but is a slow starter. A liver transplant costs half as much in Taiwan as in Singapore. China is a key target market for Taiwanese hospitals.

The Korean government is promoting the nation's growing medical tourism industry and has set a target of 100,000 foreign patients by 2012. However, Korea is considered to be a latecomer in medical tourism industry.

This report gives an overview of the medical tourism industry with focus on Asia. It discusses the major medical tourist destinations like Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Philippines, Taiwan and South Korea and their respective competitive advantages. The major healthcare organizations in Asia are also profiled in the later part of the report.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20091009005513&newsLang=en

It is not surprising that Thailand is a medical tourist spot. The quality of care is excellent and the prices are much lower than in the west. The first time I had a physical exam here in Thailand at BKK Pattaya Hospital, I was amazed by the thoroughness of it. It covered everything from eye and ear test to X ray, ultrasound, stress test, blood work, EKG, urine and stool test, PSA, HIV and upper GI. When all the tests were completed and the results were compiled I met with the doctor. He went over every test with me, explaining what the test meant, what normal was, what my result was and what it meant for me. The total exam took about 4 hours. Everything cost me about $250.00.

It is not surprising that Thailand is a medical tourist spot. The quality of care is excellent and the prices are much lower than in the west. The first time I had a physical exam here in Thailand at BKK Pattaya Hospital, I was amazed by the thoroughness of it. It covered everything from eye and ear test to X ray, ultrasound, stress test, blood work, EKG, urine and stool test, PSA, HIV and upper GI. When all the tests were completed and the results were compiled I met with the doctor. He went over every test with me, explaining what the test meant, what normal was, what my result was and what it meant for me. The total exam took about 4 hours. Everything cost me about $250.00.

Medical care in Thailand is a good value. Physical exams are very cheap especially when booked around December 5. That is the King's birthday and many hospitals run specials in his honor.

I would feel guilty about using services that many Thais need but cannot afford. When I have had to use the Hospital system - through necessity not vanity - I have been very impressed by the service and care. Excepting their policy regarding wound care - they have the view that to prevent infection and avoid scarring then a wound shouldn't 'scab' over. Therefore everytime you go to have a wound dressed they scrape it. Trust me it's very hard not to scream, it is such a painful process.

I have been very impressed by the service and care. Excepting their policy regarding wound care - they have the view that to prevent infection and avoid scarring then a wound shouldn't 'scab' over. Therefore everytime you go to have a wound dressed they scrape it. Trust me it's very hard not to scream, it is such a painful process.

What a crock! I have heard of debreding a wound but removing a scab to prevent scarring is a new one to me. Sounds like something out of the middle ages. The best way I know of decreasing the chances of scarring is to promote healthy healing. Wash and clean the wound, put antibiotic ointment and a bandage. Keeping the scab moist will minimize hard scabs that may prevent healing. Once the wound is closed you can substitute the antibiotic ointment with petroleum jelly or aloe vera. Some people believe onion extract or lemon aids in preventing scarring but not sure if any of that has been proven in studies. Of course, a balanced diet, plenty of fluids and not smoking helps the body rejuvenate the damaged skin area.