Thaiway

Police Corruption

Rate this topic

Wino

This from the Nation about two policmen arrested:

BANGKOK: -- Two Bangkok policemen arrested recently in Mukdahan province have been suspended pending further investigations into their alleged crime.

The two officers, Pol Major Phayung Meephaithoon and Pol Sr SgtMajor Thanadol Srinisai, were arrested on September 19 along with two civilian suspects - Chatchawal Khwaengchuen and Ratchanee, a woman whose surname was not revealed.

Pol Colonel Jamras Chaiyasak, chief of Don Tan district police in Mukdahan, dismissed both officers' claim that they were buying amphetamine from the two civilians as part of a sting operation. Jamras instead said they had they failed to make arrests and hand the civilians over to local police as required under normal procedure.

All suspects have been charged with possessing illegal drugs with the intent to sell, while the officers also face charges of carrying firearms without permission and reasonable cause. Jamras said a Bangkok police division, that the two officers come under, has denied that the two had been given the job of conducting a sting operation in Mukdahan.

It's not often that we can learn from a third world Country but Bangladesh has recently (under the auspices of good Governance)launched a website which aims to bring the community and the police closer together. It is felt that people are not brave enough to confront police mis-behaviour face-to-face so it is hoped they raise their concerns online. Maybe we can consider a similar project which will hopefully enable the bad apples in the otherwise good Police Force to be sorted out!

It's not often that we can learn from a third world Country but Bangladesh has recently (under the auspices of good Governance)launched a website which aims to bring the community and the police closer together. It is felt that people are not brave enough to confront police mis-behaviour face-to-face so it is hoped they raise their concerns online. Maybe we can consider a similar project which will hopefully enable the bad apples in the otherwise good Police Force to be sorted out!

Sounds like a great idea, although I do not believe the majority of the people in Bangladesh have access to a computer (I may be mistaken). I hope they give it a go in Thailand.

When they say buying amphetamines, are they talking about crystal meth, or something else? Does Thailand have a meth problem? I would assume heroin is an issue there, but don't really know what other drugs of choice are popular in Thailand.

Same, same: ya ba (which literally means "crazy medicine" in Thai) = crystal meth = ampetamine = speed. Oftentimes or at least originally, it also contained caffeine.

And, yes, it's the big kahuna in Thailand and mainly is smuggled across the border from Burma (although apparently it's coming in from Laos and Cambodia too). Very addictive and the user wants/needs more and more of the stuff. Nasty stuff.

Wow, I've always thought of meth as a rural white American problem.

Very addictive and the user wants/needs more and more of the stuff.

That can be said of any drug, even prescription pharmaceuticals. Although, Thailand would be better off if the problem was heroin or prescription painkillers. Meth, like crack, turns users into addicts very quickly and breeds paranoia and violence.

The meth wave that started on the West Coast of the US and rolled inexorably toward the east over the last 10 years finally seemed to be nearing its end, but now the chemists have come up with something new.

They call it "shake-and-bake." Toss all the ingredients together into a plastic bottle, shake it to start the reaction, and use what's left after the burn-off. The problem is, the reaction often burns through the bottle or shoots out the top in a flamethrower effect. People are getting badly hurt. Even had a 1 year old girl locally who was all but cooked when this happened while her dad was making meth.

It's so easy to make, I wonder why they're bringing it in across the border. Is it difficult to get ephedrine or red phosphorous in Thailand?

Meth, like crack, turns users into addicts very quickly and breeds paranoia and violence.

Sure does. A Thai friend from Khon Kaen told me about a fellow student, high on the stuff, jumping off the top of one of the dorm buildings. My good friend in Chiangmai has repeated the same type of stories - kids committing suicide, engaging in senseless violence against friends and family members, and just going berserk. And, occasionally, one sees the newspaper article about some guy high on meth hacking his wife and kids to death.

I'm not sure why yaba isn't manufactured in Thailand - and maybe it is. But the major job of the cops/military in the north these days is to try to interdict the stuff coming in from Burma (estimated, according to newspaper articles, at millions of pills per month). There's also some scuttlebut going around that the Burmese military is involved in the trade and using it as a method to finance their operations (and I wouldn't doubt that at all).