Thaiway

Does US Embassy In Bankok Have A Tax Attache?

Rate this topic

I'm filling out TD F 90-22.1, which Americans are required to submit if they had 10K USD in foreign bank accounts at any time in the prior year.

It can't be filed electronically and I'm not thrilled about mailing it from Thailand. A friend said he's mail it from the States for me.

Just noticed that it might be able to be dropped off at the US Embassy in Bangkok. Anyone know if there is a tax attache there?

The Form

When and where to file. This report must be filed on or

before June 30 of the year following the calendar year

reported. The report is required annually. File by mailing this

report to the Department of the Treasury, Post Office Box

32621, Detroit, MI 48232-0621, or by hand-carrying it to any

local office of the Internal Revenue Service for forwarding to

the Department of the Treasury, Detroit, MI. Tax attaches are

located in the U.S. embassies in some countries.

Just noticed that it might be able to be dropped off at the US Embassy in Bangkok. Anyone know if there is a tax attache there?

Nope, sorry, I don't. But I'm not sure why you're not thrilled with mailing it from Thailand. Just keep a copy and write on it the day you mailed it, that ought to do the trick (in the unlikely event Treasury ever asks about it).

I always mail via registered mail when mailing anything from Thailand. There's no such thing as a return receipt, but it's only slightly more expensive and my mail has always gotten through.

I do know the embassy carries the tax forms, although any tax form can be downloaded. I don't know if they have a tax attache, but it should be easy to find out. The number for the embassy is 02-205-4000. When the operator answers, ask for American Citizens Services and they can tell you. Also, just about any Internet chat software, such as Yahoo Chat or Skype, allows calls to toll free numbers in the USA at no cost, so you can do that if you need to contact IRS if you have questions.