Thaiway

Baht Strong Today

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

The exchange rates usually fluctuate as the day progresses. The rates can change as often as hourly. Sometimes it's a question of sheer luck, doing your transactions at just the right moment. For those of you who use debit cards at an ATM, Aeon still does not charge that 150 baht fee, although you can only do withdrawals in multiples of 1000 baht. I have heard that some Bank of Ayudhya ATMs don't charge the fee and some do. I don't understand that, but nevertheless that's what people are telling me.

A friend of mine is currently in the Philippines. Only yesterday he sent me an Email and said that when he uses his debit card at ATMs in the Philippines, there is no ATM fee at all, only whatever his bank in the USA charges for foreign transactions.

When I used my debit card at ATM, my US bank charged $5.00 per transaction. Thai ATM's will dispense 20,000 baht maximum. I started to use my debit card at the teller for what Thai banks call "cash advance". I take my debit card and passport to the teller and I can withdraw whatever I have in my account and my US bank charges me a $3.00 flat fee. Even if I only withdraw 20,000 baht I save $2.00, but I often withdraw 60,000 baht at a time and that is a savings of $12.00.