Thaiway

Daylight Saving Time

Rate this topic

Wino

In the US, except Arizona and Hawaii, it is now daylight saving time. I think they turn the clock back an hour in the fall to save energy. I wonder why there is nothing similar in Thailand? I guess in the tropics, it would not really save energy? Maybe the Thais believe as this old Indian quote about daylight saving time, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.â€

In the US, except Arizona and Hawaii, it is now daylight saving time. I think they turn the clock back an hour in the fall to save energy. I wonder why there is nothing similar in Thailand? I guess in the tropics, it would not really save energy? Maybe the Thais believe as this old Indian quote about daylight saving time, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.â€

Hmmm...actually, daylight savings time just ended a week or more ago. I rather like it as the extra hour of sunlight allows more outside activities at night. During daylight savings time (sometime around April through October), Thailand is 11 hours later than EST in the US. Now it's back to the standard 12 hours later.

Hmmm...actually, daylight savings time just ended a week or more ago.

I wasn't sure if it started in the spring or fall. You think it would help lessen energy consumption if it were applied in Thailand?

When I lived in the US I liked Daylight Saving Time, but because in Thailand daylight is roughly 12 hours all year, it doesn't seem necessary.

I knew there was a difference due to Thailand's being closer to the equator but never thought about what the difference might be. Just checked out one site which indicated that sunrise tomorrow in Bkk will be at 6:13AM with sunset at 5:46PM. On June 21st of next year, sunrise will be at 5:50AM and sunset will be at 6:44PM. So, it appears that Thailand's difference between the deep of winter and the beginning of our summer (June 21) is only about an hour and 8 minutes.

Big difference from where I come from. Didn't check it out officially but I know we Michiganders have 6-7 hours of daylight more in June than in December.

I wonder why there is nothing similar in Thailand?

The US did it briefly during the First World War, then resumed during the Second World War. Supposedly, it was to conserve energy and increase daylight working hours.

From what I understand, the EU and several dozen countries around the world practice some variation or other of DST, but I'm not sure which ones and how they do it.

In N. America and Europe having daylight saving time during the winter months would be counterproductive. People would be getting up in the dark and using more electricity to get ready to go to work or school.

California looked at going to year-round DST a while back...according to the state energy commission, "Daylight Saving Time saves energy for lighting in all seasons of the year except for the four darkest months of the year (November, December, January and February) when the afternoon advantage is offset by the need for lighting because of late sunrise."

Not sure I buy the idea that DST saves much energy at all.

Interestingly, researchers from the University of California-Santa Barbara conducted an energy study last year in Indiana, where only half the state is on DST, and came to this conclusion:

Our main finding is that — contrary to the policy's intent — DST increases residential electricity demand. Estimates of the overall increase are approximately 1 percent, but we find that the effect is not constant throughout the DST period. DST causes the greatest increase in electricity consumption in the fall, when estimates range between 2 and 4 percent. These findings are consistent with simulation results that point to a tradeoff between reducing demand for lighting and increasing demand for heating and cooling. We estimate a cost of increased electricity bills to Indiana households of $9 million per year. We also estimate social costs of increased pollution emissions that range from $1.7 to $5.5 million per year. Finally, we argue that the effect is likely to be even stronger in other regions of the United States.

The switching back and forth seems a little pointless...maybe we should just switch and stay there.

I agree. Switching in one country and not the other complicates airline schedules etc.

For me, standard time is easier since there's exactly a 12 hour difference between Bangkok and New York.

But it means football starts at 1AM instead of midnight.