Thaiway

Polanski backer Mitterrand is in controversy of his own

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

I guess everyone likes Thais. :) I have been a big fan of Polanski for years and although his scandal was before my time, the news had been focused on it for a while. Now, some of his backers are coming forward. The following appeared in the LA Times.

Polanski backer Mitterrand is in controversy of his own France's culture minister, Frederic Mitterrand, defended the director over old charges of sex with a minor. Mitterrand is under fire for a book he wrote telling of buying sex with young Thais.

Reporting from Paris - France's minister of culture, whose forceful defense of film director Roman Polanski brought scrutiny to his own life, denied in a television interview Thursday that he had slept with underage boys and said his 2005 book about his experiences should not be taken as a literal memoir.

Tilting his head to the side and occasionally glancing at his folded hands on the table, Frederic Mitterrand sought to explain passages he wrote in "The Bad Life" ("La Mauvaise Vie") about having sex with young male prostitutes in Thailand.

"Yes, I had [sexual] relations with young men, but one cannot confuse pedophilia with homosexuality," the 62-year-old politician said, insisting that he had had sex only with adults.

"It is neither a novel nor my memoirs. I preferred to leave things vague," he said. "Nothing is true, nothing is false," he added. "It was a way to tell a life story that resembles mine a lot."

The book, widely perceived as autobiographical, raised some questions when it was published but did not cause a scandal and sold well. It resurfaced after Mitterrand made a much criticized and emotional appeal in support of Polanski after the Polish French director's arrest Sept. 26.

For the rest of the story:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mitterrand-sex9-2009oct09,0,5528261.story