Thaiway

The Best Burgers in Bangkok: A trek around Bangkok seeking divine beef

Rate this topic

MidTMike

The boys and I have set out to find the best Hamburger joints in Bangkok. I know of some we are going to test, but if you have others to recommend, please let me know and I'll try to go.

Stop 1: Duke's Express

Emporium Shopping Mall, 5th Fl., Tel: 087-002-9214, Website: www.dukesbangkok.com

This place is tucked away at the back of the 5th floor food court. I have been to Emporium many times and never seen it. You need to walk all the way to the back of the court to find it. It has only 7 tables and it small, but it is worth trying.

The group: it was me and my two boys that live with me but 2 Thai friends from Pattaya.

I ordered Joe's Famous Burger. It has Blue Cheese, Bacon, Grilled Onion, Lettuce, Tomato and Horseradish Mayonnaise 245 Baht. My side item was Onion Rings.

The burger was very good. The meat was tasty but a bit overcooked for me. I like to see some pink and I told the lady that but it was well-done. Still, I loved the taste of the Blue Cheese on the burger.

I gave my burger a 3.5 our of 5.

The boys had another burger, the Fish and Chips, Lasagna and Ribs. They all gave their meals a 4 our of 5. They all had fries with their drinks and they gave a separate 1 our of 5 to the fries. The fries were not cooked well, soggy and just not tasty. Not one person finished the fries.

We all ordered drinks and the boys got Heineken's. The total cost for 5 was 2,000.

I tasted the BF's burger (he loves burgers as much as I do) and it was good as well. He got the Va Va Va Boom Burger with Chili, Cheese, Chili Mayonnaise, Onion and Pickles 215 Baht. I liked it as well.

We all like our main course and I really liked the onion rings buttermilk battered. None of the boys like the fries.

We all agree, we gave Duke's Express a 3.5 out of 5.

Stop 2: Bully's Pub

When trying to find Bangkok's Best Burger, we will have to go to about 10 or more places. I have been to a few but never wrote a proper review. So, I'll try some old favorites again.

We have heard great things about Bully's and I have been there before as it is next to the J.W. Marriott and I ate there several times over the years. Nighttime gets crazy so we decided to check out Bully's during the day.

Bully's is a sports pub and it has 3 pool tables which my boys loved. They played 5 or 6 games while we were there. The tables were well kept and clean and the ladies racked the balls for them.

I had the Bully's Burger with Egg and Cheese and mushrooms. (170 basic but 20 for each additional ingredient) The BF had the Cowboy Burger (180) and our friend had a BBQ Burger (201). We all agreed that the burgers were excellent. I gave my burger a 4.5 out of 5 and the BF gave his a 5 our of 5 and our friend gave it a 4.5. So, overall, we would say this place is a 4.7 our of 5.

The fries were good and the cold slaw was good as well.

The burger prices were very reasonable at 190 - 220 baht each. The drinks were high with cokes at 75 baht, and beer up to 190 baht for Corona (my BF's choice).

All in all, the place is very comfortable to eat and hang out. We all had a very nice time there and all want to return. The service was fast and friendly and the food was tasty.

http://www.bullysbangkok.com/

Sukhumvit Road, Between Soi 2 & 4

Next to the J.W. Marriott

Tel: 66 02 656-4609 Fax: 66 02 656-4605 (Bangkok, Thailand)

Stop 3: Bangkok Burger Company

Thonglor Soi 10

Thonglor, Bangkok

I have been watching Bangkok Burger Company on Facebook and I liked their attention to detail and I wanted to try this out.

Tonight was opening night. They had a few practice runs in the last 4 or 5 days and I was invited to them but couldn't attend. So, we went to check this place out.

First, if you turn onto Thonglor from Sukhumvit Road and then turn onto Soi 10, you are right at the place. It is about 10 stores into the soi and on the 2nd floor of one of the buildings.

The place is very well decorated and once again, attention was paid to detail. The menus were great and had one side English and one side Thai. The tables were comfortable and the place was very cozy. It is not a huge place and I would think about 50 people could sit inside.

The have an extensive menu of burgers and many variations. They also change the specials from week to week.

There was a group of 4 of us and we all had different burgers. They have regular size which is 100 grams and large which is 160 grams of beef. I suggest the larger one.

They also have real milkshakes made from Ice Cream. They were tasty.

The hamburgers were delicious. The boys loved them and so did the falangs. The fries were very good as well. The meat was seasoned very well and the buns were hot and fresh.

The 2 Thai boys gave the place a 5 out of 5. The two falangs gave it a 4.5 our of 5. So, overall, we give it a 4.75 out of 5. That is pretty damn good considering it was opening night and they are new. I could not complain about the food at all. It was great tasting and reasonably priced. We spent about 500 baht each for food and drinks but we also had desert and milkshakes and beer.

The owner is a very nice man who came over and ask our opinions and really seemed interested in knowing what we thought of the place. As I told him, it was fantastic. I would gladly recommend this place to anyone to visit.

It was one of the best burgers I have had in Thailand.

Bangkok Burger Company is on my list of visits every time I visit Bangkok! YUMMY!

post-2-054098600 1315560860_thumb.jpg

post-2-047865300 1315560864_thumb.jpg

post-2-049747200 1315560869_thumb.jpg

Stop 4: Iron Fairies

The boys and I tried Iron Fairies tonight. I had been there before with a friend a few years back and had a good time but we sat at the bar. I didn't go upstairs. Tonight, we were upstairs.

There is no place in Bangkok like Iron Fairies. It is unique. It is interesting. There was live music tonight which had a jazzy sound. The tables are not comfortable and neither are the stools but the place is alive with sound and people. It is a very small place and every-time I have been there, it has been packed. Tonight was no exception. It was packed and we waited a bit for the table.

The place is right around the corner from Bangkok Burger Company in Thong Lor area. Once again, I really like this area and the vibe of the entire place.

Iron Fairies is a restaurant, bar, music place, blacksmith shop, art gallery and trinket place. Yes, it has a lot going on.

It is hard to explain other than it is lit by candles at night and fun. See the photos on the website as they are very realistic of the place. I have also attached a few we took.

The burgers are great. Real Australian Beef Burgers. They are the biggest we have eaten to date and all 3 of us gave them a 4 our of 5. We loved the fries and they are the best fries (really potato wedges). We tried 3 different burgers and all three were great. The cost for fries are extra. We also had beer and soft drinks. There were 3 of us and the bill came out to just over 1800 baht.

We give Iron Fairies 4 our of 5 for burgers and a 5 out of 5 for uniqueness and ambiance. :)

http://theironfairies.com/

Iron Fairies

394 Thonglor Road (Sukhumvit Soi 55),

opposite Ton Krueng Thai Restaurant, Bangkok

tel +66 (0)84 425 8080

Open Monday-Saturday, 6pm to 2am

post-2-054808300 1315560974_thumb.jpg

post-2-022781500 1315560976_thumb.jpg

post-2-070114200 1315560977_thumb.jpg

post-2-013372400 1315561030_thumb.jpg

Stop 5: Roadhouse

Roadhouse BBQ:

I have eaten at the Roadhouse many times over the years and always have a good time there. The prices are a bit high but the food is good and it is close to the gay bars.

Corner of Surawong & Rama 4, Tel. 02-236-8010,

The boys and I went today to test their burgers. We all tried a burger with different cheese and different toppings. We also had beer and soda.

The burgers are made of Australian beef and they taste pretty good. The bacon is cooked great and not raw like a lot of places in Thailand serve them. The fries are tasty but full of grease. So much grease in fact, the boys put a napkin on one and it was drenched with grease.

The burgers are 345 each and IMHO, that is too much for what you get. Both the burgers at Iron Fairies and BBC are better burgers and we left with a much better feeling.

All three of us gave the burgers 3 out of 5. And we gave the place a few marks down for prices and fries. So, we give it a 2.5 out of 5 total.

If you are in the area, the burgers are good. They are just not the quality of Bully's, Iron Fairies or Bangkok Burger Company. However, if you have a craving for a burger in the area, drop by and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

I have had their ribs on several occasions and they were good. Most of the time.

post-2-075074700 1315561109_thumb.jpg

post-2-078747800 1315561112_thumb.jpg

post-2-031796200 1315561118_thumb.jpg

Stop 6: Home Run Bar and Grill

Tonight the boys and I tested Home Run Bar and Grill. That is all off of Sukhumvit 31 (best to call them on your way and let taxi be guided by staff) and you need to check out their website in order to find the map.

1st off, the interior of the place looked wonderful. They had very nice floors, very nice tables, a pool table, and plenty of light. The place was lit very well, comfortable to be in, and an enjoyable experience.

My only discomfort of the evening were the bar stools. They were regular cheap bar stools and not comfortable enough to sit down and have a meal. Other than that, there was really very little I could complain about.

I had a friend in town from Washington DC, and he and I took the boys there to try the burgers. 2 of us gave the burgers a 3.5 and 2 of us gave them a 4.0. For total score of 3.75 out of 5.

I thought the burger tasted very good. The beef was good, the bread was good, and they had plenty of toppings. The burger was a very nice portion for a foreigner to eat, and it came with enough fries to fill you up. I had a bacon cheddar cheeseburger which cost 320. All the burgers were around the same price range. The boys had beer and soda, and I had a smoothie and Diet Coke. They do include a service charge with the bill.

The total of dinner and drinks came to approximately 600 baht per person.

I thought the place was very comfortable and the boys loved playing pool while we were waiting on the food. It is a sports bar so they have very large TVs with sporting events in every direction. The waiters and the service staff were attentive, cordial and efficient. All in all, I had a very nice meal and enjoyed not only the company but the atmosphere and the food. It is a place that I would go back to again.

If there were a sporting event that I wanted to watch on a very large television, I would consider taking the boys there to watch the event. From my understanding, the owner is from Chicago, Illinois. He did a great job decorating the place, training the staff, and putting out a menu that had very tasty food. If you are in Bangkok and you want a decent cheeseburger, I would recommend even this place a test run.

Sukhumvit 31 (best to see map on website), Tel: 02-258-6250, Website: www.homerunbangkok.com

post-2-064172000 1315673263_thumb.jpg

post-2-037216400 1315673265_thumb.jpg

post-2-063643700 1315673266_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Roadhouse BBQ:

I have eaten at the Roadhouse many times over the years and always have a good time there. The prices are a bit high but the food is good and it is close to the gay bars.

Corner of Surawong & Rama 4, Tel. 02-236-8010,

The boys and I went today to test their burgers. We all tried a burger with different cheese and different toppings. We also had beer and soda.

The burgers are made of Australian beef and they taste pretty good. The bacon is cooked great and not raw like a lot of places in Thailand serve them. The fries are tasty but full of grease. So much grease in fact, the boys put a napkin on one and it was drenched with grease.

The burgers are 345 each and IMHO, that is too much for what you get. Both the burgers at Iron Fairies and BBC are better burgers and we left with a much better feeling.

All three of us gave the burgers 3 out of 5. And we gave the place a few marks down for prices and fries. So, we give it a 2.5 out of 5 total.

If you are in the area, the burgers are good. They are just not the quality of Bully's, Iron Fairies or Bangkok Burger Company. However, if you have a craving for a burger in the area, drop by and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

I have had their ribs on several occasions and they were good. Most of the time.

If the BBQ is an indication, ( all I have had there)then I think you review is spot on. The BBQ was a disappointment. Maybe I am just spoiled by American BBQ (West coast)