Thaiway

Acai Berries

Rate this topic

smoker

they have this "lose thirty pounds in thirty days" gimmick with acai berries. smoker, did you, by any chance, lose any weight when you ate a lot of acai berries?

If acai berries belong to the same family as grapes, then it might also contain resveratrol, which I just found out is a component of diet drugs distributed commercially.

From the photo sent by wannago, I thing acai berries resemble our duhat here in the Philippines. It is green when still raw, turns red and then finally becomes black when already ripe. It stains both hands and clothes. But it is delicious just like strawberry only that inside is a medium sized seed .

If acai berries belong to the same family as grapes, then it might also contain resveratrol, which I just found out is a component of diet drugs distributed commercially.

From the photo sent by wannago, I thing acai berries resemble our duhat here in the Philippines. It is green when still raw, turns red and then finally becomes black when already ripe. It stains both hands and clothes. But it is delicious just like strawberry only that inside is a medium sized seed .

Is it more tart or sweet?

It is tart when it has not fully ripened yet. That explains why we sometimes eat it with a vinegar condiment - like the way we eat a green and unripe mango. I think our duhat is not in any way related to the grape or acai families except that it is berry-looking. One would not dare eat grapes or acai berries with a vinegar condiment. :P

Some people object to Wal-Mart saying they are crushing small businesses with unfair advantages. Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world, they buy in huge quantities so they can keep their prices lower. I think this is an advantage for most people who are on limited budgets. When I was in the US I shopped at Wal-Mart often. Their newest superstores have almost anything you would want to buy, food, appliances, toys, etc. Shopping there saves running all over town.

Forgive me for the ignorance. What's wrong with Walmart?

Wal-Mart has a history of being a corporate bully, treating employees poorly and selling low-quality products. And you really have to go wading in the shallow end of the gene pool when you shop there, especially in the South. However, the prices also are much lower than anywhere else, so you almost have to shop there if you are trying to save money. It's a love-hate thing for me.

True, but they also sell cheap crap manufactured in China that falls apart when you try to use it. Wal-Mart itself acknowledged that a few months ago when the company announced it was going to start redesigning stores and improving product quality in an effort to attract a more upscale shopper.

We have a lot of stores here that sell China stuff, from php10 plates to php60 shoes! Anything and everything in between. As they would say God Made the world. Everything else is made in China.

I even bought my daughter a php120 mini laptop that played nursery rhymes when I pressed the button (oh, you gotta love the mouse that comes along with it - it's a lady bug). The thing is, it plays the stupid tunes over and over and doesn't have any volume control. So it's noisy.

Why buy a V-Tech computer toy for your kid when you can get one from china at one - tenth of the price? Hahaha. Of course, I know that since my daughter's still a year old, she'll be throwing her toys around,so a php120 toy is okay to buy. LOL

Why buy a V-Tech computer toy for your kid when you can get one from china at one - tenth of the price? Hahaha. Of course, I know that since my daughter's still a year old, she'll be throwing her toys around,so a php120 toy is okay to buy. LOL

Those Chinese goods are certainly a big savings for a young family. The thing you have to watch out for is those small items that kids put in their mouth. Choking is a big concern, but there were also reports that some of those Chinese toys contained lead.

Target and K Mart sell similar products.

Yes, they do...I remember the first item I ever purchased from Target was a floor lamp with pieces that weren't even machined properly so that they fit together. I kind of had to force them into place. Bulbs wouldn't last more than a few weeks in the thing, no matter what type or where I plugged it in. Finally junked it and bought one at Sears.