Thaiway

Motorcycle in your Name in Thailand

Rate this topic

I think one of the best investments you can buy in Thailand is a motorcycle. They are the easiest for getting around and make life so much easier. If you live a distance from where you go on a daily basis, they also will save money over the long run. It is very easy to buy a motorcycle in Thailand and to have it in your own name. Here a few suggestions.

Motorcycles start around 30,000 baht and go up from there. If you buy at a dealer, the prices are negotiable. Be sure to get them to give you 2 helmets (they do with all Thais) and a wrench tool set for fixing minor issues. You can take out a loan for it but the rates are crazy and I suggest paying cash. If you want to put on a CC they will charge you 2.5 percent. They may ask for 3 but tell them NO.

Once you purchase, you need to get permission from Immigration. To do this, be sure your Visa is 60 days or longer. Otherwise there may be problems. Coming in on a Visa On Entry is 50/50 whether they will be able to do the paperwork or not. I always get a 60 day extend-able Visa so I know I am covered. You will then go to Immigration.

Once at Immigration, you need a copy of the purchase, 2 photo ID's, Copy of your passport, Copy of Home Papers or Rental Agreement and copy of your Visa pages. You can get all the copies at your home or there is usually a place next to Immigration offices that will make for you. If you do yourself, be sure to get a copy of your Visa as well as the stamped page with the entry document.

They will take all this and you pay them 200 baht. They will tell you when to pick up the document. You go back and pick it up and take it to the place you purchased the vehicle. Once you give to them, they will tell you to come back in 60 days or so. I usually go early and it is normally done.

Be sure to get the insurance and pay for tags at purchase. In case you lose the bike or it is stolen, you will get a partial refund. Also, be sure they give you a temporary tag when you purchase. Make all the arrangements before you pay for the cycle.

Once you go back and get your tags, there is a sticker they give you to put on the cycle. Have them put it on for you and you are good to go. Be sure to go back and get services at the suggested dates.

I hope this helps.

Be sure to get the insurance and pay for tags at purchase. In case you lose the bike or it is stolen, you will get a partial refund. Also, be sure they give you a temporary tag when you purchase. Make all the arrangements before you pay for the cycle.

The insurance you talk about only covers the motorcycle, is that right? No damages for the other party or medical expenses? I suppose that insurance would be bought through an insurance agent?

I suppose that insurance would be bought through an insurance agent?

Yes, several different agencies offer insurance for motorcycles. As for the cost and what they'll cover, it's best to shop around before committing to anything.

The insurance you talk about only covers the motorcycle, is that right? No damages for the other party or medical expenses? I suppose that insurance would be bought through an insurance agent?

Yes, when you buy a motorcycle, you should buy the insurance and it only covers the bike. However, I have never seen this policy wording. I have bought at least 20 bikes over the years and never once seen it. All bikes that were stolen have been paid for but it takes several months to get the money. For a Thai, they will offer to settle for much less and give them money fast. I am patient and can wait.

I buy it as part of the motorcycle dealership when I buy a bike. I think it is about 2k baht for one year. I just keep my receipt as they always attach the insurance to the book and the tag. I do not get a card to carry, like car insurance in USA. I don't get a policy receipt. I only get the money paid. Fishy? I have been told this is the way it is done in Thailand.

You don't even get a copy of the policy? How do you know what is and is not covered? What do you do or who do you call in case of an accident?

No answer for you. If lost or stolen are in an accident, you call the dealership and they help you with the paperwork. I know it sounds shady but it has worked many times in the past with Thais I know that have lost their motorbikes and they got their money. I was just told that amount is 1/2 of the purchase price. But, the manager told me 85 percent and that is what I was paid before. However, I was willing to wait for almost a year to get the money.

• 1 year later...
Guest Marshal

There are plenty of places around the island that hire out bikes and scooters and I hired a little automatic scooter from a place called Bum (I kid you not!) near where I was staying in central Chaweng for 250 baht. It's the best way to get around the island and I spent a day visiting the major sights such as Lamai beach, Hin Ta Hin Yai, the mummified monk, a couple of waterfalls, a couple of the northern beaches and the Big Buddha. Be safe and legal by wearing a crash helmet and take care as the roads are cracked and potholed.