Thaiway

Bangkok: The Ever Changing City

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

Bangkok, known as the City of Angels is the center of life in Asia. This is the place to go if you want to find some hot exotic romance, shop at some of the best shopping Asia has to offer, partake in some of the most delicious food in the east or just hang out in a local park with the locals.

Still Bangkok has much more to offer than just hot nights. This is a city with a rich culture and history; so you can dive into the local culture during the day, eat wonderful meals at night and make the most of your vacation.

One of the most popular destinations is the Damnoen Saduak floating market. You can sample local food while an experienced guide will take you on a boat ride through the canals where you can purchase tons of souvenirs for friends and family back home.

No trip to Bangkok is complete without a bike tour through the city and its outskirts. Whether you take a guided tour, or decide to tool around on your own bike, this is the best way to be mobile and discover the life of the normal residents of Thailand. There are many bicycle groups that organize trips in Bangkok and throughout the country. Take a look at: http://www.tourdethailand.com for a fantastic charity ride that goes from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then down to Phuket each year.

Temples abound in Thailand and will thrill nearly any western visitor with their splendor. Wat Trimitr,Wat Po and Wat Banjamaborpitr are three of the most beautiful. Plan to bring your camera and try to bring a local guide so you can learn the rich history and nuance of each and every place of worship.

The Grand Palace is the most popular tourist destination in the city. For centuries it was the residence of Thailand’s powerful kings. Make sure you take time to see the Reception Palace, the Funeral Palace, The Throne Hall and the beautiful revered Temple of the Emerald Buddha.

Just be prepared; the Thais take their temples seriously and will not let you inside if you are wearing shorts or flip-flops.

If you want to be a little bit less active you can always take an overnight in a converted rice barge. The most popular cruises leave from Bangkok and travel to the ancient capital of Ayuthaya.

When you are done sightseeing Thailand offers nearly every type of cuisine from traditional Thai food to classic Western cuisine. No matter what your tastes, you should be able to satisfy your hunger before your night on the town!

Still many go to Thailand for one main reason, to meet and mingle with eligible single guys or gals. There is nothing wrong with that - everyone likes a little exotic nighttime fun on their vacations; after all when you are far away from home you can easily let yourself be free and assume that what goes down in Bangkok stays in Bangkok no matter who it is that you go down on.

Of course, like any city, the hot spots in Bangkok come and go constantly. What’s cool today might not be hot tomorrow and new places are popping up all the time.

The best thing about Bangkok is that it is ever changing. You need to keep a close look at this site and the bars and clubs and accommodations area. New arenas come and go and we try our best to keep this part of the site as updated as possible.

cc ThailandVisa 2009

I've researched a couple of things to do once I visit Bangkok (I have an obsession for learning everything I can about something before actually experiencing it). And here's some fun things that people can do on a budget when in Bangkok. I just thought that I should share it for other soon - to - be tourists and residents who might visit this site.

There are plenty of ways to enjoy Bangkok. You can shop, sight see, enjoy the night life and relax in spas. The number of things that you can do during your stay basically depends on how much you have to spend. But if you don't have enough moolah, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy Bangkok as well. Here are just a few things that you can do to enjoy Bangkok on a budget - or even for free!

Try to visit the Lumpini Park. It's located right smack in the middle of Bangkok, in between the hustle and bustle of the city population. Nestled in the middle of metropolis of sky scrapers, Lumpini Park is considered as an oasis. Here, you can sit by the pond and relax, experience nature, look at the views and take your old trusty camera. If you're game for some exercise, you may even want to join Tai Chi exercises that are done by the locals.

The Butterfly Gardenis a spectacular habitat that is found in Bangkok's Chatuchak District. It is a huge building that has more than 20 species and 500 kinds of butterflies. If you're Lepidopterophobic (afraid of butterflies) like Nicole Kidman, then the Butterfly garden may not be for you. But don't worry - there's more to do!

Thais are predominantly Buddhist, and their temples (wats) are open to everyone. You can view and visit these temples. These are the most peaceful places that you can visit throughout Bangkok, and their design, architecture and decoration are simply breathtaking. Just make sure that you follow proper guidelines and conduct when visiting these temples since they are places of worship.

Old Bangkok is the city's original section, and is perhaps has the most history about the city. It was founded more than two centuries ago and has some of Bangkok's most popular attractions, which aren't for free. There are plenty of 18th century buildings that have been restored, as well as original stone walls of the city.

So if you're in Bangkok on a budget, you necessarily don't have to be left out on the fun. You can still see the sights and enjoy Bangkok on a budget - or even for free!

Chatuchuk Weekend Market is a must see for any visitor to Bangkok. Go early on Sat or Sun before it gets too hot or crowded, but the best bargains are to be had just before closing on Sun. The vendors want to make that last sale. Remember bargaining is expected and necessary. Be respectful though and once you agree on a price you are honor bound to buy. One last comment, BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS, as with any crowded place they abound and are very adept at their "trade".

Chatuchuk Weekend Market is a must see for any visitor to Bangkok. Go early on Sat or Sun before it gets too hot or crowded

About 9:30am to 10:00am is the time I would recommend getting there. By then the vendors are all in place and open for business.

Also, I mentioned in another thread that if you are interested in plants, Wednesday is the day to go. For everything else, Saturday and Sunday are the days to go.

The spelling can vary greatly, because of the transition from Thai scrip to western script. Yes, you can generally get what you want cheaper there than at department stores, but you have to know what you are buying and bargain. It is a huge market with an extensive range of products from live gold fish to gold jewelry.

Pattaya also has a Floating Market now!! Some think it's better than the one mentioned by CrazyExpat. I have visited both and like them both. Damnoen Saduak is older and more traditional and you have to take a boat, The new one in Pattaya is new and less traditional and you can walk from shop to shop (stall to Stall) or take a boat.

this is the capital of Thailand, right ! Of course it will be beautiful... Thailand... more tourist going there...

Not quite as many tourists these days partly because of the GFC and a lot to do with the unstable political situation and a Government which wasn't democratically elected!! But still a great place to visit and also to live.

Pattaya also has a Floating Market now!! Some think it's better than the one mentioned by CrazyExpat. I have visited both and like them both. Damnoen Saduak is older and more traditional and you have to take a boat, The new one in Pattaya is new and less traditional and you can walk from shop to shop (stall to Stall) or take a boat.

I have not heard about the floating market in Pattaya. Tell me more.

The Pattaya floating market is worth a visit. No admission charge! Free parking! There are shops and restaurants. You can walk around from shop to shop or take a boat.

I have no idea where this market is located. Close to North Pattaya Road? Jomtiem? Can you take a baht bus?

It is south of Jomtien on Sukhumvit Rd. before Noong Nooch Tropical Gardens. The white baht buses that run on Sukhumvit Rd. go past it.

I have been to Noon Nooch but did not notice Pattaya floating market. I guess they have canals around the shopping mall, thus the name floating market.