Thaiway

Chaing Mai Tourist Stuff?

Rate this topic

smoker

It is not a lot of rich Thais. It is a very nice city with a very laid back atmosphere.

Here is the article for Chiang Mai for the site.

Whether you want to chill out, immerse yourself in history or simply check out the smoking hot nightlife, Chiang Mai, in Northern Thailand, has a little bit of something to please everyone.

Like most of the cities of the north, Chiang Mai is far more laid back than the southern metropolises like Bangkok, and the prices are far more reasonable.

Chiang Mai is not only one of the oldest cities in Thailand; it has also hosted western tourists for hundreds of years. The city traces its own origins back at least 700 years and there are records of European explorers writing home about this “fair and great town” in the 1500s.

The long history of this town is a boon to tourists who can marvel at the archeological and historical artifacts that seem to burst out of the countryside.

For much of its storied history Chiang Mai was an important cultural and religious center for both Siam and Burma, which helps explain the huge number of ruins and temples that still remain to this day.

Although Chiang Mai has always boasted beautiful mountains and a pleasant climate, it did not start attracting large numbers of western tourists until the early 1990s, when people started looking for new places to relax and ways to save money.

Once people started visiting Chaing Mai, word spread fast and by the mid 1990s, Bangkok tourism speculators started buying up large chunks of the city and converting them into vacation havens.

Chaing Mai celebrated its 700th anniversary in 1992 and in 1998 played host to the Asia Games sporting events.

During the day you will want to take a walking tour through some of the more than 300 Buddhist temples including Wat Phra Singh Wat Chiang Man Wat Phan Tao Wat Jet Yod and Wat Suan Dawk all of which are at least 500 years old.

You can walk through the temples on your own or rent a guide for the day. Please remember to dress respectfully when you visit any temple in Thailand; flip-flops and shorts are not appreciated.

If you are into shopping, Chiang Mai has one of the most exciting nighttime bazaars in all of Thailand. This is where you want to go in order to get great deals on silk and traditional hand made crafts.

On days when you don’t feel like hiking or walking, you can enjoy any number of boat trips up and down the Ping River. Just sit back, relax, watch the scenery and let your captain take charge!

Chaing Mai is known as the city to go to in Thailand if you want gourmet meals at affordable prices. There are literally dozens of restaurants in the city, and almost all of them are world class. You can find nearly any type of food you desire, and you won’t have to worry about busting your wallet.

The most interesting ruins in the region are called Wiang Kum Kham. They are from a lively city that was washed out in a flood 700 years ago.

By far the most popular tourist activity in Chaing Mai is to ride an elephant into the jungle. These tame beasts are so tall that you will be able to see for miles and the beasts are so tame that you will always feel secure. When we last went to the elephant farm in Chiang Mai, the elephant trainers greeted us and they put on a show for us. They showed us how they taught the elephants to paint, play soccer and basketball. All of this was quiet entertaining and just a warm up for the elephant trek through the wilderness. Riding one of these wild beasts is an incredible experience. It is simply one of the most amazing things that can be done in Thailand. The elephants helped build ancient Thailand and they are respected and revered.

White water rafting is another popular activity, as is rock climbing. You can rent all the gear you will need for both activities fairly cheaply if you just ask around. There is a rock climbing wall downtown that you can practice at. It is also in the middle of many gay beer bars. If you are into people watching, watching the climbers ascend the wall while sipping on a beer is very relaxing.

Thailand is becoming known for its amazing gold courses. There are many tours planned that bring US and European citizens to Thailand for a week or two of playing golf at some of the most amazing courses in the world.

For those of you who like to explore on your own, local guides will be happy to prepare trekking maps that will explain how to walk into and through many of the tiny villages that dot the mountains around the city.

As with most cities in Thailand, the scene in Chaing Mai is constantly changing but the forums on this site should give a good idea where to start looking for your carnal adventures.

We just can’t wait for you to come visit; we know you will have as good a time as we do!

Is Chaing Mai worth it for us tourist wise or is it mostly just a bunch of rich Thais?

Hmmm....rather strange question. I've made 18-19 trips to Thailand and have spent 90% of my time

in Chiangmai. And, if anybody was going to ask the same question, I would have guessed it would

have been asked by a northerner about Bangkok!

The real answer to your question depends on what you are seeking.

I have been to Chiang Mai several times and enjoy the city tremendously, especially during Loy Krathong. In CM Loy Krathong is 3 days not just one as here in Pattaya. There is a huge nighttime street parade and canals to float your krathong. It is the most romantic time in Thailand. If you go to CM, one thing you must find to eat is kow soi, a curried noodle dish which is specific to CM area.

I have been to Chiang Mai several times and enjoy the city tremendously, especially during Loy Krathong. In CM Loy Krathong is 3 days not just one as here in Pattaya. There is a huge nighttime street parade and canals to float your krathong. It is the most romantic time in Thailand. If you go to CM, one thing you must find to eat is kow soi, a curried noodle dish which is specific to CM area.

I, too have fond memories of Chiang Mai. Have been to this fine city several times and enjoy the Lanna people. My first visit to a bar was coffee boy with a friend. It really freaked me out. Boy, was I a greenhorn? On the last visit, I really enjoyed the Sunday street market. There were a lot of nice arts and crafts and the people watching was wonderful.

What type of stuff did you like in the market?

Anything particularly cool?

The "Sunday" market in Chiangmai is mainly along Ratchadanern (spelling?) Road - which is the road running due west towards the mountains from Taipei Gate. It's essentially a "night market" stretching out for a kilometer or more (and also into a couple of the streets running off of Ratchadanern.

By and large, most of the stuff for sale there is typical to night markets elsewhere in Thailand, although there's more food for sale and occasionally some unique local handicrafts. Nothing too exciting in my view (most of it's tourist crap but occasionally there'll be some decent items).

But since the Thai authorities closed the road, it's really become a huge deal in Chiangmai - much bigger than the "regular" night market along Chang Klan. There's always a few musicians here and there and occasional juggler and that sort of thing. And, based on the crowds there every Sunday, it's very popular with Thais and especially the younger set. It seems to me that it's almost become a weekly social event there and I find it entertaining on occasion. If you're up in Chiangmai on a Sunday, it's worth a visit.

P.S. Last I knew, I thought they were also going to open this up on another night of the week (a Wednesday?) but I've never been over there to check that out.

If you like GOOD hamburgers head for Mike's. They are the best hamburgers I have found anywhere in Thailand.

Yeppers, not bad at all. Located on the east side of the moat, about 3(?) blocks north of Taipae Road. And Mike's has a second place now out on Nimmanhaemin Road (sorta near the university).

Mike's also has a place in the Night Bazaar.

Hoping you can give some better directions to the Mike's by the night market (I'm presuming, then, its on Chang Klan?). I've been through there a gabillion times and have sadly missed it.

When in Thailand, I generally eat Thai food and have actually developed some favorites I can't do without; however, every couple of weeks I'm drawn like a lemming to find a cheeseburger and fries. Probably not very healthy but, dammit, it does taste so good....

Chaing Mai is worth a visit. Loy Kratong would be a good time to visit.

Yes, very lovely night parade and other events; however, for the more timid, not too wise to be close to the Narawat Bridge (bridge over the Ping at the end of Taepae Road) as it seems that's the place for the local fireworks war.

The most interesting ruins in the region are called Wiang Kum Kham. They are from a lively city that was washed out in a flood 700 years ago.

As I understand it (via history books and being told by Thai friends), these ruins are the vestiges of the original city where King Mengrai lived. Because of the annual flooding (the area is very close to the Ping River), King Mengrai decided to build a new city and that was the beginning of Chiangmai around 1200 AD. "Chiangmai" means "new city" in Thai.

The ruins [located about 8-10 kilometers southeast of the old (moated) city] are not in great shape and the ruins are smaller than those seen in Ayutthaya; nevertheless, very interesting to see. Here are a few photos I took in October of 2008:

First, Wat Chedi Liem. Dates from the 13th century and restoration occurred in 1912. The big stupa behind supposedly contains the remains of one of King Mengrai's wives:

post-76-12540180696436_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, the software copied the same photo three times.....so here's another attempt to add a couple of photos of the ruins:

Wat Pupia (like many of the other ruins in the area, was excavated rather recently - around 1985):

post-76-12540183359028_thumb.jpg

Wat E-Kang [also excavated in the 1980's, it's name stems from the species of monkey ("kang")that lived here]:

post-76-12540183565889_thumb.jpg