Thaiway

Chaing Mai Tourist Stuff?

Rate this topic

smoker

Reviewing this entire thread again, I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Wat Doi Suthep, the most famous of temples on Suthep Mountain (which is about a 30 minute drive up the mountain west of the old city). Next to the Grand Palace, it's without a doubt my favorite temple in all of Thailand. They just finished restoring the golden stupa so it now looks the same as in the fifth photo shown here (which I took a few years ago):

Main level veranda:

post-76-12540193746049_thumb.jpg

View from veranda (that's the airport in the middle):

post-76-12540197311149_thumb.jpg

Lower (main level)temple:

post-76-12540194238377_thumb.jpg

Lower level temple detail:

post-76-12540194486815_thumb.jpg

Golden Stupa (upper level):

post-76-12540194856076_thumb.jpg

Some statuary on upper level:

post-76-12540195221884_thumb.jpg

I do not know if other tourists would do this, but I had a couple of spiritual trips to CM. And all I did was to meditate. There are a number of temples where they can teach you how to meditate. My favorite place was Wat Phra That Si Chom Thong. This temple is situated approximately 58 kilometers from the town in Chom Thong District.The temple can be dated back to the mid-1400s and houses a collection of bronze Buddha images while the secondary chapel contains a holy Buddha relic.

Meditation is a time to relax, to calm yourself down, to focus energy and mindful thought. Easier said than done. And that was why I could not do it on my own and needed help from the experts.

The temple provides accommodation and food. The experienced monks will teach you one-on-one. Why? There are loads of different styles and techniques. Your teaching monks will guide you through the way, to ensure that you understand and know how to meditate.

Please note that meditation is not about Buddhism, and it is actually suitable for anyone.

If you are into BIG CATS, I would recommend Tiger Kingdom, at Mae Rim. This place is not a zoo, rather a combination of restaurant and tiger park. There, you can play with tiger cubs and young ones.

Have fun!

If you go, I'd suggest you not go into the pen with the "adult" (actually, about 2 year old) tigers. Some tourist was mauled there earlier this year.

I went into the "baby" and "juvenile" pens and that seemingly was okay. But, when I saw one of the adult tigers yawn (showing teeth and a mouth that could encompass your entire head), I declined entering that pen.

If you go, I'd suggest you not go into the pen with the "adult" (actually, about 2 year old) tigers. Some tourist was mauled there earlier this year.

I went into the "baby" and "juvenile" pens and that seemingly was okay. But, when I saw one of the adult tigers yawn (showing teeth and a mouth that could encompass your entire head), I declined entering that pen.

I would think you would have a better chance of getting hurt by a playful baby or juvenile tiger. For me, I think I will stay on the outside of the pen.

I'm more comfortable playing with the elephants.

I have seen some elephant stunts that are frightening, as well. The elephant show at Pattaya's Nong Nooch (I think that is the name) asks for audience participation. The person lies on the ground and the elephant puts his leg on your chest. Not something I would do but a lot of people volunteer.

I've seen several television shows (titled something like "When Animals Go Nuts" or the like) showing incidents involving injuries/deaths occurring at zoos, animal shows, etc. I've seen several clips showing elephants going nuts and stomping/goring people and one of the clips, I'd swear, looks a hell of a lot like the elephant place just northwest of Chiangmai (I've been there a few times).

The trained elephants are normally docile, of course, and attacks are rare; however, given their size, obviously a good idea to not mess with one that's pissed off.

We were in Florida's Lion Country Safari many years ago. It's a park where you drive through and all the animals are free to roam as that wish. We came upon a herd of elephants on a small hill beside the road. We stopped the car and a friend rolled his window down about 3 inches. A baby elephant came to the car and was running his trunk along the open window. My friend was playing with it with his finger, saying, "Here, elephant elephant." The papa came down the hill and put his tusks against the front wheel of the car and gave a gentle, but firm push. The car rocked and scared the hell out of us all. Papa took the baby and went back up the hill. I have no doubt that the huge papa could have easily flipped us over. Luckily, he just gave us a warning, "Don't fuck with my kid."