Thaiway

Mercy Kiilling

Rate this topic

Wino

Mercy killing is a touchy subject to some. Here is an article about a British reporter admitting killing his young lover.

(Feb. 16) -- A well-known British television reporter admitted on camera that he smothered an ailing lover. Police are investigating the extraordinary statement, which is expected to reinvigorate debate over the national policy on assisted suicide.

''I killed someone once. ... He was a young chap. He'd been my lover and he got AIDS,'' Ray Gosling, 70, said in a BBC documentary on death and dying. ''Maybe this is the time to share a secret that I have kept for quite a long time.''

British law on so-called "mercy killings" hasn't changed much since 1961. Those convicted face up to 14 years in prison. But the government is considering loosening its policies. In September, it announced plans to decriminalize assisted suicide in the case of severely disabled or terminally ill patients.

British TV Reporter Ray Gosling Admits Mercy Killing - AOL News

Yes, a touchy subject indeed and one unlikely to be easily resolved. So many of the cases that come to our notice through the media would appear

to have merit due to their compassionate nature. However, once a person is unable to make informed choices for themselves and it becomes the

responsibility of next of kin then it becomes an ethical minefield.

I had to make some decisions regarding my Dad when he passed away. He was in a coma for 5 weeks before he died. It wasn't all that difficult to decide as I knew how he thought in those matters.

I think there is too much emphasis on keeping Schiavo's alive and not enough emphasis on clean water and mosquito netting for African kids.