Thaiway

Heartless Jerks?

Rate this topic

Wino

The Pallin family is going after the writers of "Family Guy" for making fun of Pallin's Down syndrome child. Are the writers "heartless jerks?"

By BECKY BOHRER, Associated Press Writer JUNEAU, Alaska – Sarah Palin is lashing out at the portrayal of a character with Down syndrome on the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy."In a Facebook posting headlined "Fox Hollywood — What a Disappointment," the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and current Fox News contributor said Sunday night's episode felt like "another kick in the gut." Palin's youngest son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

The episode features the character Chris falling for a girl with Down syndrome. On a date, he asks what her parents do.

She replies: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska."

Palin resigned as Alaska governor last summer.

Palin's oldest daughter, Bristol, also was quoted on her mother's Facebook page, calling the show's writers "heartless jerks."

"When you're the son or daughter of a public figure, you have to develop thick skin. My siblings and I all have that, but insults directed at our youngest brother hurt too much for us to remain silent," she is quoted as saying.

"If the writers of a particularly pathetic cartoon show thought they were being clever in mocking my brother and my family yesterday, they failed," Bristol Palin added in the Monday posting. "All they proved is that they're heartless jerks."

Palin wrote that she'd asked her daughter what she thought of the show and Bristol's reply was "a much more restrained and gracious statement than I want to make about an issue that begs the question: When is enough enough?"

This isn't the first time Palin has spoken out over an attack, real or perceived, on her family. Last year, she condemned a joke David Letterman made about her daughter, for which he later apologized.

A "Family Guy" publicist didn't immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

Palin lashes out at `Family Guy' - Yahoo! News

Are the writers "heartless jerks?"

They (and the producers and owners of the show - and the owners of the network allowing it to be shown) certainly lack any reasonable taste. Making a show about a character with down's syndrome might be perfectly fine under a given scenario but even the linking of that person with the current governor of Alaska (who, of course, has a down's syndrome child) is beyond the pale. Okay, I'll go with "heartless jerks" too.

Granted Chang, they could but that just wouldn't get asses in seats. Lets be honest, cartoons have been ruffling feathers for ages

and will continue to do so. I remember a few choice South Park episodes one of which even had a pop at the Family Guy writers during

the controversy over the 'anti Islamic' cartoons published in a Danish newspaper.

Here is the response from the "Family Guy" point of view about Palin's comment of "heartless jerks."

One person who supports the “Family Guy†staff is Andrea Fay Friedman, the 39-year-old actor and public speaker who played Ellen in that episode. Like the character, Ms. Friedman also has Down syndrome.

In an e-mail message sent on Thursday to The New York Times, Ms. Friedman wrote:

I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line “I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska†was very funny. I think the word is “sarcasm.â€

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life.